Author Topic: Rank Removal  (Read 23872 times)

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
Rank Removal
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:55 pm »
Hey everyone.

This post is to ask your opinions on the Prophunt Stats and if they should be removed or no.

No, this is not a definite thing. This is mostly for opinions.

My thoughts personally are they should be removed. My reasoning being prophunt was more enjoyable and laid back when there were no ranks. Yes, some people care about their rank and some people couldn't give a shit less. My thoughts are being that with ranks gone everyone would be able to enjoy prophunt as it was before: a laid back past time without players stroking their e-penises with their rank every 5 minutes.

Discuss.

EDIT: Removed the poll since people would just vote and not post any opinion about it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:12:29 am by HipsterGlaceon »

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
Re: Rank Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:20 am »

Offline Punishment_Fatal

• Full Admin
  • Hat Fancier
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:54:47 am by Punishment_Fatal »

Usually around Trading Hell and Zombie Hell. Message me on Steam if you need something.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:06:18 am »
I really wouldn't mind if they were taken out. Everyone is now divided by what rank they hold, and has split people up. It just seems like people don't care about you if you have a low rank. I've hung around on my alt account on a few times, and have had people say things like why should I matter when I have such a low rank. It's sad.

I'd also like to bring up the problem of propmenu. I'm just going to come out and say that a lot of the people who do have higher ranks is because of the usage of propmenu to change into a small/hidden prop every single hiding round. While I do use it on occasion, I still like to play with the prop I am given, because I actually feel like I've accomplished more when I have won with a bigger or harder to hide prop. However, having the advantage to pay to be able to get those easy props isn't right in my eyes. Pay to win, simply put.
However, I know a lot of people donate just because of propmenu. I know I did when I started playing on this server a year ago. However, I continued to pay because I started to enjoy playing on the other servers, and I wanted to support Saxton Hell. For me, it was worth it to continue to pay. To take out propmenu would likely lose donors who have no use for perks on our other servers. If we take out ranks, this would not be a problem. That, or we could restrict propmenu to the "fun" props, such as Merasmus and the like. But, again, there are people who donate just for the ability to use propmenu to gain ranks.

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this. And, please, don't just vote on the poll without discussion. Without a discussion, we can't see what you guys have on your minds. Or we could just take out the poll, and force you guys to actually post. Up to Glace, though.

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:33:45 am »
However, I know a lot of people donate just because of propmenu. I know I did when I started playing on this server a year ago. However, I continued to pay because I started to enjoy playing on the other servers, and I wanted to support Saxton Hell. For me, it was worth it to continue to pay. To take out propmenu would likely lose donors who have no use for perks on our other servers.

Still, there's the issue of good old integrity. Do we give players who pay more things that are undeniable advantages, or do we do what most would consider to be the fair and balanced thing and get rid of the prop menu. I'm personally in the latter party, but I doubt that'll change either way. I could draw a comparison to the Hale issue with high-five taunt, but that's a technical problem while this is just removing the plugin or keeping it in.

To reply to the topic, I don't think removing ranks will do much good at all. Sure there may not be a definite number saying who is better than who, but if you join any server regularly, you'll know who the regulars are. Those regulars will tend to be treated better by fellow regulars than new players. Just how it works on all communities.
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:07:17 am »
Woah, did some huge falling out happen on the server last night??? I wasn't on but was just wondering whether this has been an idea for some time or one that really sparked last night?

Anywho.

I think the issue of rank is more to do with the players themselves. By no means will I name names here but certainly there are a few who engage in things like team-switching to blue each round to get kills, who talk as though they are the very best and everyone else should just bow down before them. Others who like to be at the very forefront of attention all the time etc. I find that while this is augmented by ranks, it's also got a lot to do with the ego of the person in question. Again, removing ranks might go some way to extinguishing this and may even deter the more 'troublesome' players from playing on the server.
However, now I sound as though I support removing ranks only to get rid of people on the server that tend to irritate me a bit - NO NO NO. (I think I speak for many when I talk about irritating people)
Although I think removing rank will be a good thing in returning prophunt to the more laid back and light hearted game that it was before, it is still a nice way of gauging ability for those who do try to play more legitimately the majority of the time.

My vote for now would have to be sitting on the fence at this time, I think we need a load more opinions before we can make any form of decision. Maybe adding the poll into the server for the time being like there are the votes for map likability/rating etc.

On the issue of propmenu - true, it is exploited. I guess I am guilty of this some of the time as well. If there was a way of keeping the 'fun' props and only allowing a selection of 3 normal props (which are randomly selected at the beginning of each round for each player) I think this would add for a bit more fun in terms of what people get. but if it does go to only fun props, there also needs to be an option for returning to the prop you were given because running for the whole map is tiring and sometimes players just want to have a bit of LOL time with players in blue spawn who cannot move yet.

I would support this change if it had the 3 randomly selected for each person idea implemented, but I am not sure at all if that is possible.

Above all else, return prop hunt to fun and remove the serious!

Marshii

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:28 am »
MAKE AN UNRANKED PROPHUNT SERVER AND KEEP THE RANKED ONE
EDIT : 16:33 - roarscreamo: that wont happen
KEEP RANKS

EDIT 2: EDIT HARDER
MORE PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT RANKS (MOSTLY REGULARS) ARE THE ONES WHO ARE GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS. THERE ARE PROBABLY LOTS OF NOOBS OUT THERE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT RANKS, BUT THERE ARE ALSO PEOPLE WHO WANT RANKS BUT AREN'T ON THE FORUMS.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:35:05 am by MrEskimoMan »
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:24:22 pm »
MORE PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT RANKS (MOSTLY REGULARS) ARE THE ONES WHO ARE GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS. THERE ARE PROBABLY LOTS OF NOOBS OUT THERE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT RANKS, BUT THERE ARE ALSO PEOPLE WHO WANT RANKS BUT AREN'T ON THE FORUMS.

I would be more than willing to get the opinions of other regulars who do not currently have a forum account and post them here, with their permission.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:56 pm »
I think I might have actually encouraged SH to sync up to the official ranking, because at the time this place was a lot of fun and there were a lot of people I hadn't played against before. Since opening the floodgates, its also encouraged a lot of whining, bitching, complaining, etc.  I say go back to rankless SH. There will still be servers for people to play at that are ranked, such as Vault F4, GM, and WantedGOV.

Offline Laura

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:06:40 pm »
On the issue of propmenu - true, it is exploited. I guess I am guilty of this some of the time as well. If there was a way of keeping the 'fun' props and only allowing a selection of 3 normal props (which are randomly selected at the beginning of each round for each player) I think this would add for a bit more fun in terms of what people get. but if it does go to only fun props, there also needs to be an option for returning to the prop you were given because running for the whole map is tiring and sometimes players just want to have a bit of LOL time with players in blue spawn who cannot move yet.

I would support this change if it had the 3 randomly selected for each person idea implemented, but I am not sure at all if that is possible.

I agree with that, 100%. The three random props.. seems a pretty good idea. Gives a challenge but also gives a bonus to donators, so it can't always be exploited. And on the issue of ranks, true, it does cause a lot of whining and complaining. Ranks should be taken out, honestly. It's gotten to the point where myself(along with a couple other regulars that I won't name), have taken to going to an old server I used to play on. We've been doing this for the mere fact that it is not ranked and we can just enjoy being there and having fun without having to deal with people complaining/whining about ranks all the time. It's kind of sad that we have to do that though.. ranks can be a goal, yes, but taking over our lives and sometimes even ruining friendships? A bit too far.
"You didn't love her. You just didn't want to be alone. Or maybe, maybe she was good for your ego. Or, or maybe she made you feel better about your miserable life, but you didn't love her, because you don't destroy the person that you love."

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »
Removing rankings won't bring back the old fun people on this server. People are still going to complain, it's just the way the server as gone. It's the internet, don't be so butthurt and just ignore the whiners  :-* :-*

EDITITTIES : 21:15 - [RG] MrEskimoMan: imo, it's not the ranks fault that people are whiny bitches
21:16 - [RG] MrEskimoMan: it's the people's fault that they're whiny bitches
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:16:06 pm by MrEskimoMan »

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:48:17 pm »
On ranks:

SourceOP ranking system is far superior. It's better than nothing and nothing is better than what we've got. If you want a real opinion, ask a specific question please. :)

On the prop menu:

I suppose this is a decent place to post this.

Suggestion:
a) Remove "easy" prop menu props (bucket, CP, pile of hay, paint can, TV, etv. Would be map dependent.)
b)  Don't allow donors to switch to a smaller prop than the one they got. Could be tough to code.
c) Remove stats from the servers.
Only one is necessary. I prefer the third.

Reason:

Taken from: http://forums.saxtonhell.com/index.php?topic=397.0

It's pretty obvious that the prop hunt server is at least semi-competitive. It's hooked up to a leaderboard, there's quite a bit of stat spam, and a good deal of the regulars obviously care about their stats. At one point, the leaderboard was used as justification to make changes/avoid making changes to the config.

I don't really mind it; use it or don't, I'll get you anyway. However, I think it has no place on a server that has historically been against pay-to-win. I know it exists mostly to bring in donations, and if you say as much I'll stop complaining.

Removing rankings won't bring back the old fun people on this server. People are still going to complain, it's just the way the server as gone. It's the internet, don't be so butthurt and just ignore the whiners  :-* :-*

EDITITTIES : 21:15 - [RG] MrEskimoMan: imo, it's not the ranks fault that people are whiny bitches
21:16 - [RG] MrEskimoMan: it's the people's fault that they're whiny bitches

You never noticed a difference between when you played on here and SOP with me? I didn't rage at everything ever before I started playing on the ranked servers.

Woah, did some huge falling out happen on the server last night??? I wasn't on but was just wondering whether this has been an idea for some time or one that really sparked last night?

I've been talking to anyone who'll listen about this for a long time. I know Luve has been talking with Roar. I don't know why this just got posted now.

I think the issue of rank is more to do with the players themselves. By no means will I name names here but certainly there are a few who engage in things like team-switching to blue each round to get kills, who talk as though they are the very best and everyone else should just bow down before them. Others who like to be at the very forefront of attention all the time etc. I find that while this is augmented by ranks, it's also got a lot to do with the ego of the person in question. Again, removing ranks might go some way to extinguishing this and may even deter the more 'troublesome' players from playing on the server.

Hi there. I exist. You can call me out on it should you feel like it. You'd be wrong, even if I come off that way. Sorry.

However, now I sound as though I support removing ranks only to get rid of people on the server that tend to irritate me a bit - NO NO NO. (I think I speak for many when I talk about irritating people)
Although I think removing rank will be a good thing in returning prophunt to the more laid back and light hearted game that it was before, it is still a nice way of gauging ability for those who do try to play more legitimately the majority of the time.

As a general rule, people who play more will have higher ranks. It's incredibly difficult to net a loss of points unless you're only playing blue and not getting any kills. Ranks aren't the same thing as skill.

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 05:41:01 pm »
Yeah, but it's a person's choice to whine/complain AT the ranks.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »
Eskimo, please 'contribute' to the thread rather than being so contrary and unhelpful.
Of course it's a person's choice, otherwise we'd all be automatons.
The point is; many of us who have a sense of community and friendship on the server would like to revert it back to that because as pointed out earlier, the ranking system recently is driving people apart. Maybe you don't care about friends on ph, maybe you do, I couldn't care less, but many of us do.

Furthermore, I know that there are a few people on the server, like myself, are not the most social of people outside of steam and so prophunt / steam is our main social contact with anyone. Prophunt used to be a brilliant hub of conversation, Lols and fun. I think (like others) that the ranking system, given the popularity of the server and the multitude of regulars is only going to prevent this.

Also, shooter, I'm not going to name names about those that care about rank or whatever, I've played with you, I know you're a nice guy who just plays the game. Fair enough. Please don't take this personally, I just have strong views about one the main and only places where I can talk/have fun with good friends.

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
TIME 2 CONTRIBUTE
We should have a petition to remove the fortwar server for more space on the dedi for a seperate, unranked prophunt server. Or maybe some other mod to be removed or something. totes  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)