Author Topic: [v1.3] VSH - High Quality Boss Music Pack  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Mango Supreme

[v1.3] VSH - High Quality Boss Music Pack
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »
UPDATE - Version 1.3 has been released. Here are the changes:

-Astro theme is dry again and free of reverb

-Slightly dynamically compressed the Halloween and Astro themes

After noticing the sub-par audio quality of the boss themes in Versus Saxton Hale (bitrates as low as 90kbps), I found and edited high quality versions (320kbps) of them and made this "mod" pack. I'd recommend using it if you're more of an audiophile, but if you don't mind how the music sounds already, you probably won't get any benefits from this.
Please note that this will NOT get you VAC banned; It simply replaces files in the "download" folder.

Download here -
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v54naz1ar5f9yq7/VSH_HQ_Boss_Music_Pack_(v1.3).zip

Be sure to report any problems you encounter using this here.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:13:46 am by Mango Supreme »

Offline BLAKUboy

Re: VSH - High Quality Boss Music Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:21:53 pm »
I have the music turned off. >_>
I am totally the prettiest girl on the Prop Hunt server.
#PrettiestGirl2013 #SoTryhard

Offline Mango Supreme

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:36:04 pm »
I have the music turned off. >_>
Then...don't download the pack? I'm not sure what the point of your post is.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:38:00 pm by Mango Supreme »

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 01:43:27 am »
Then...don't download the pack? I'm not sure what the point of your post is.
Maybe to make sure there isn't 100% positive posts.
Cuz there would be if the negative speakers didn't post in the wrong forums and threads.
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline Calcium

• apsolubely ebin :DDDD
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:43:48 pm »
Very nice, just going to mention that saxton_hale/hwn/spooky.mp3 is not from the SXH servers. Also, I'm not sure if the original's had cue points embedded in the WAV files so you might want to look into that as some sounds might not loop properly without them. Other than that good job, they sounded a lot better when I previewed them than the default ones.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:10 pm »
Very nice, just going to mention that saxton_hale/hwn/spooky.mp3 is not from the SXH servers.

It is! It's from some Halloween shenanigans we had.

Offline Calcium

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:11:10 pm »
It is! It's from some Halloween shenanigans we had.

Really? Will said shenanigans happen again this year? I must have missed them.

Offline Mango Supreme

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:52:36 pm »
Also, I'm not sure if the original's had cue points embedded in the WAV files so you might want to look into that as some sounds might not loop properly without them.
Excellent point. Originally, I made files longer in duration that looped seamlessly for six minutes. Quite an improvement, especially since the CBS theme doesn't have any seamless loop. They continued to play at their original cue points, overlapping each other, and I assumed it was because the loop points were implemented into VSH itself. So in this pack, I just made them approximately the same duration as the old mp3s. I haven't yet had experience with cue points, so thanks for mentioning them. If I can get them to work on the 6 minute versions, I'll prepare a new release with those included.

Really? Will said shenanigans happen again this year? I must have missed them.

Most likely, and I sure hope so. It changed default Hale into a skeleton boss with Spooky Scary Skeletons playing in the background.

Also worth noting, I'm aware that the Astronaut's music cuts off abruptly, so I'll try to bring in a fix soon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:55:09 pm by Mango Supreme »

Offline Mango Supreme

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:34 pm »
Update - there doesn't seem to be any special metadata on the original mp3s. I think the music looping could be part of the code for the bosses, which is server data. So it looks like, for now at least, we'll have to make do with the stopping/starting of the original files. All of the bosses I've tested except the Astronaut can do that fine. Right now I'm trying a new, remade version of the Astronaut's theme, and I'll let you guys know if it works.

Offline Calcium

Re: [v1.1] VSH - High Quality Boss Music Pack
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:19:20 pm »
Update - there doesn't seem to be any special metadata on the original mp3s. I think the music looping could be part of the code for the bosses, which is server data. So it looks like, for now at least, we'll have to make do with the stopping/starting of the original files. All of the bosses I've tested except the Astronaut can do that fine. Right now I'm trying a new, remade version of the Astronaut's theme, and I'll let you guys know if it works.

Oh derp, these are in mp3 format, only wav files can be looped via embeded cues. Also, I'm not sure about √oidy's fork of the VSH plugin, but I knew the version on the alliedmods forum has the CBS theme hard coded to 137 seconds and the HHH theme to 87 seconds. Not sure about the astro because it's a custom boss only in his fork which is private.

Offline Mango Supreme

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 04:46:05 pm »
Oh derp, these are in mp3 format, only wav files can be looped via embeded cues. Also, I'm not sure about √oidy's fork of the VSH plugin, but I knew the version on the alliedmods forum has the CBS theme hard coded to 137 seconds and the HHH theme to 87 seconds. Not sure about the astro because it's a custom boss only in his fork which is private.
Thanks for the info on the hard-coding. Guess we'll have to stick with the default looping.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 07:11:35 pm »
Astronaut's theme song is hardcoded at 175 seconds.

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 07:59:46 pm »
on ff2 we have lets say some hales like gentlemen who song only repeats once and i notice the song for gentlemen is like 24mins long and it makes no sense why cause who will spend 24 mins in a single round

Offline Mango Supreme

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »
on ff2 we have lets say some hales like gentlemen who song only repeats once and i notice the song for gentlemen is like 24mins long and it makes no sense why cause who will spend 24 mins in a single round
If you're referring to the longer versions of the boss music I wanted to use, it's the same thing repeated, but seamlessly, as opposed to the stopping and starting loops hardcoded into VSH.

Thanks to those who confirmed the looping is hardcoded into the VSH mod. This doesn't affect the HQ Music Pack in its current state whatsoever, which loops the same way default music does, but I'd been looking for a way to change the loop so my 6-minute seamlessly-looped files would work. While this isn't possible, the default looping gap is only a minor annoyance and not really a huge deal.

Also, be sure to report any problems you encounter using the pack here!

Offline Mango Supreme

Re: [v1.3] VSH - High Quality Boss Music Pack
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:44 am »
Just an update: version 1.3 is out, and will be the final version unless problems arise (and are solved). There's not too much of a difference, but the Astronaut and Halloween themes should be a bit louder now. Also, since I didn't post an update down here for 1.2, Cave's music has been tweaked, or more specifically, I improved the fade in/out of the two "Your Precious Moon" clips.