Author Topic: Remove voting  (Read 17255 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
  • Acta non verba (actions not words)
Remove voting
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:57:34 am »
I am suggesting that nominating and voting for maps is completely removed from deathrun. We literally had an argument over what maps are good, what maps are bad, what maps we can play on, which ones we can't play on. It broke down into a mud flinging contest and a nomination war. Remove the nominating and voting and you stop the stupidity and people bitching about maps. It also prevents the same 7 maps from being played over and over again, and gives a challenge to players who have never played on certain maps, or never vote for them because they are too hard. The whole purpose of deathrun is for the player to survive as long as possible and make it to the end to win, and the hale's job is to stop them. When people argue over maps it kinda removes from that idea, I like to have variety, it helps me learn new techniques and increases my skill level as a player, not spamming the same 7 maps where you just rush to the end as fast as possible. Just my two cents.
Why am I gay? You should first ask: Why are you straight?

Superbia offerent tibi non animi pacem
(Pride will offer you no peace of mind)

Offline Punishment_Fatal

• Full Admin
  • Hat Fancier
Re: Remove voting
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:18:05 am »
I am suggesting that nominating and voting for maps is completely removed from deathrun. We literally had an argument over what maps are good, what maps are bad, what maps we can play on, which ones we can't play on. It broke down into a mud flinging contest and a nomination war. Remove the nominating and voting and you stop the stupidity and people bitching about maps. It also prevents the same 7 maps from being played over and over again, and gives a challenge to players who have never played on certain maps, or never vote for them because they are too hard. The whole purpose of deathrun is for the player to survive as long as possible and make it to the end to win, and the hale's job is to stop them. When people argue over maps it kinda removes from that idea, I like to have variety, it helps me learn new techniques and increases my skill level as a player, not spamming the same 7 maps where you just rush to the end as fast as possible. Just my two cents.
Maybe change it to donators nominate only? If not, then I guess they can remove it.

Usually around Trading Hell and Zombie Hell. Message me on Steam if you need something.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:50 am »
I don't really think that removing map voting entirely is the way to solve that issue. Neither would making it be only accessible to donators. If you want to see variety, nominate maps that are underplayed.

Offline Punishment_Fatal

• Full Admin
  • Hat Fancier
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
I don't really think that removing map voting entirely is the way to solve that issue. Neither would making it be only accessible to donators. If you want to see variety, nominate maps that are underplayed.
The only problem I see with this is what happens on the server actively. Since barely anyone knows the maps that aren't nominated because a lot of new people come onto the server, the nominations usually slide over the played maps. With this, even if another map that isn't played gets nominated, the newer people will pick what map they know/what the rest of the crowd is wanting them to go to.

Usually around Trading Hell and Zombie Hell. Message me on Steam if you need something.

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »
The removal of map-nomination won't lower the amount of stupid mud-slinging at all. It's just the nature of the server.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:00:28 pm by jay50jay »
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »
Some people literally nominate a map as soon as a new map loads up, I am only 1 person, and I don't load up the fastest, so I often get stuck nominating a map last. It's a whole bunch of nonsense when people get into nomination wars over the same 7 maps and start whining and fighting because their map did not get the first nomination, and the crying over the "1 spam". If you set the maps to random it will keep us guessing, and if it cycles through them all before cycling through again it keeps us guessing, and we get to play on all the maps.

Offline Nurse Flutterjerk

• Your going to LOVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »
Voided have you ever heard of the legendary "1 spam"? If i nominate the worst map in deathrun and its in the 1 vote slot everyone will vote for it cry for 30min why we are on this shitty map and then i can nominate another map first then the cycle continues

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:54:35 pm »
Removing map voting doesn't solve 1 spam.

Reordering how the maps display in the list or require other keys to be pressed solves 1 spam.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:43:26 pm »
Okay, how about this, we remove the nominating sequence, and have the server pick a map at random, and we vote on whether or not we play on it, or if we want to skip it, if we skip, it will just choose another random map and make it the map we play on. I honestly don't care what maps we do play on, I just like having some variety and a challenge, and as I have said, arguing over maps and making a nomination war seems pretty silly.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:19:51 pm »
I still don't believe that removing nominations is the right way to go. While it may make some group of players happy, others will potentially be upset. For now I'm not going to be making any changes, as nominations and map voting are the mainstay and de facto method of choosing maps on many servers, and it's expected to be in place by many players.

However, I will look into seeing if the map vote process can be modified.

Here are some ideas I have in mind (these are only prospective ideas, which may or may not be implemented at some point):
  • It would be ideal to move the voting keys down a few numbers so that instead of 1 through 6, players must hit 4 through 9.
  • Randomize the order of maps displayed to every player. So one player's 1 map will differ from another player's 1 map. This has the possibility of confusing many players who expect everyone to see the same order, though.
  • Make use of F1, F2, F3, etc. There are significant downsides to this, however, as Valve's voting system has a reduced number of choices so the voting set will be reduced to less maps,and "extend map" would become unavailable.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »
I like the second idea, it prevents 1 spamming, it forces players to think about their decisions, and it gives underplayed maps a chance to be voted up instead of being shadowed from the constant nominating - 1 spam chain.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 09:26:53 pm »
yes i like that idea

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »
how about making a vote not count at all be a button for my vote does not matter
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:51:47 pm by Nurse Flutterjerk »

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
how about making a vote not count at all be a button for my vote does not matter

What
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:08 am »
Basically jay it means you vote doesnt count towards a map, essentially you are "wasting" it.