Author Topic: General ideas/adds  (Read 7733 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
  • Acta non verba (actions not words)
General ideas/adds
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:10:31 am »
Some ideas I have for the server to simply make it more convenient to the players:

An econo-bot, this is something I saw on gamebanana similar to scrapbot, only it sells common weapons, and if you get it going, can even sell hats, how it works is that someone calls it for a trade, specifies the item they want in the chat box (yes that means they have to be english friendly as they have to spell the name correctly) and it will tell you the price in metal required to purchase the item, which the user adds and the trade is completed. This would save chat from constant spamming of people wanting to buy common weapons, like pans, mantreads, or other weapons of the sort.

I am not telling you how to run your server here with this, but some of the users at night are causing problems and being trolls, and since all of the admins have gone to bed, there isn't much we can do about it, so a night time staff might be a nice addition for the convenience of non-american players, or players that just stay up quite late.

Also a VSH inspired tutorial? A server or pull up menu that explains tips/tricks and how to play on the different servers, as well as the rules for the different servers, just to hopefully lower the numbers of "useless" players because they don't know what to do.

I am not sure if this is a working model or not, but someone mentioned on the gamebanana forums a thing called troll-bot. It is a server ran bot that detects basic "trolling" and can be programmed to match the needs of different servers, and can automatically kick offenders, some of the basic functions the dude posted were language abuse, people walking out of spawn and hiding to go afk, and glitching. I can no longer find this thread nor a model of it on gamebanana, I will keep you posted should I find out more about it.

I think this is it for now, I will post on this if I get more ideas in the future~
Why am I gay? You should first ask: Why are you straight?

Superbia offerent tibi non animi pacem
(Pride will offer you no peace of mind)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Re: General ideas/adds
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:15:04 am »
An econo-bot, this is something I saw on gamebanana similar to scrapbot, only it sells common weapons, and if you get it going, can even sell hats, how it works is that someone calls it for a trade, specifies the item they want in the chat box (yes that means they have to be english friendly as they have to spell the name correctly) and it will tell you the price in metal required to purchase the item, which the user adds and the trade is completed. This would save chat from constant spamming of people wanting to buy common weapons, like pans, mantreads, or other weapons of the sort.

Not feasible. The bot would need a backing store of weapons.

I am not telling you how to run your server here with this, but some of the users at night are causing problems and being trolls, and since all of the admins have gone to bed, there isn't much we can do about it, so a night time staff might be a nice addition for the convenience of non-american players, or players that just stay up quite late.

Report the players to us and provide adequate proof and we can take the same actions that we'd normally take if we where around at that time.

Also a VSH inspired tutorial? A server or pull up menu that explains tips/tricks and how to play on the different servers, as well as the rules for the different servers, just to hopefully lower the numbers of "useless" players because they don't know what to do.

The rules are available from the motd, or with the !rules command in chat.

I am not sure if this is a working model or not, but someone mentioned on the gamebanana forums a thing called troll-bot. It is a server ran bot that detects basic "trolling" and can be programmed to match the needs of different servers, and can automatically kick offenders, some of the basic functions the dude posted were language abuse, people walking out of spawn and hiding to go afk, and glitching. I can no longer find this thread nor a model of it on gamebanana, I will keep you posted should I find out more about it.

As far as I'm aware, nothing like this exists. It's very difficult to model player behavior in a way that would allow us to detect who is being a troll. As for glitching, most cases of this have already been fixed with our plugins like the zone plugin and whatnot. If there's anything specific that needs work or fixing, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Offline Antie97

• OH GOD, THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALL SPHINCTERS
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:32:14 am by VoiDeD »
I place $20 into a box. So do you. There is now $40 in the box. I sell the box to you for $30. We both walk away with a $10 profit.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:44 am »
http://pastebin.com/Le6fEF2E

I didn't mean to shoot him down! :S

Also, I should learn the difference between the "modify post" and "quote post" buttons.

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:39:13 am »
!told plugin incoming

Offline bombs

• happy trees
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:00 am »
yeah bottom line is sometimes people are dumb on video games

usually a better idea instead of staying on a server that is making you frustrated or angry would be to switch servers.

*cough* try out jump hell sometime *cough*

Offline Antie97

• OH GOD, THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALL SPHINCTERS
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »
Not like I was the one who put the link there.
SOMEONE must of edited my post.
wink wink
nudge nudge
I place $20 into a box. So do you. There is now $40 in the box. I sell the box to you for $30. We both walk away with a $10 profit.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:36:22 pm »
Not like I was the one who put the link there.
SOMEONE must of edited my post.
wink wink
nudge nudge

:(

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
  • Acta non verba (actions not words)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:38:26 pm »
Doesn't the scrapbot get a whole heaping pile of weapons? Is it plausible to combine the scrapbot with the econo-bot? There have been several times where I have wanted a sandman or a pair of mantreads since I crafted mine since I didn't need them as much as I needed the actual metal at that time, and when I want to buy another lo and behold no one is trading them, and I had to hopscotch around trying to find a trader to have one finally give me the item I wanted an hour later. Also having it sell hats, espicially popular ones at a reasonable price could really haul in some cash for this server
Why am I gay? You should first ask: Why are you straight?

Superbia offerent tibi non animi pacem
(Pride will offer you no peace of mind)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:26:44 am »
Also having it sell hats, espicially popular ones at a reasonable price could really haul in some cash for this server

Again, it would needs hats to begin with. Having the bot get weapons and then sell them just makes it another small player in the economy.

The reason a scrapbot works is because scrapbanking is a zero sum game, and because the items being traded are easily converted into metal. Neither trader gets a net gain out of the trade.

A normal trade bot just isn't feasible because it would need to get the items it's selling from somewhere first, and then sell them for a "reasonable" price. The price of items changes over time and someone would have to be around to tweak prices every now and then to follow market conditions.