Author Topic: OP Weapons/ suggested weapon changes.  (Read 75305 times)

Offline Shooter`

Re: Are Shotguns op?
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »
Earlier i was playing and i know i may not be the best at prop but
i got killed loads of times. just by one guy running around
using a shotgun aiming wildly and shooting wildly

Go read about Hitscan (http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Hitscan) and lag compensation (http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Lag_compensation). He might have been "shooting wildly" to you but to him, he was aiming at you, and that's why you got hit. Keep in mind both of these (to the best of my knowledge) do NOT apply to flare guns because they are treated as projectile weapons.

P.S. Someone help me, how do I insert a link into text? :(

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:15 pm »
shotguns are not op they lose damage when far away if it was hit while flares dont lose damage from far hits so shotguns are not op you are just being a baby that you get killed by them everyone get kills by them

Offline Le Joshyboy

« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2013, 02:20:44 pm »
or you don't play ph and don't see how op they are?..

• Venus Power
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2013, 02:31:56 pm »
i been on ph and they arent

Offline Bubby

• Hey, I thought this was personal!
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:05 pm »
Shotguns aren't OP, I've played PH. If someone's "spamming" their shotgun at you from far away, it does 3-5 damage, usually. That then causes the prop to run, and the player to run to the prop. If anything, it's strategic  :P. I'm expecting arguments against what I said, but it's my opinion.
I can't sign on my computer, are you crazy?

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
  • On a THC powered rocket ship to the moon.
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »
Hate shotguns, not because they are OP.  A degreaser + axe or flare = the most OP setup in the game but no one minds it, including me.  The problem with the shotgun is it takes the fun out of the game.  Same with the minigun.  When I get killed by a flare while on fire I know it took some amount of luck or skill to hit me and it's still fun...a shotgun is 24-7 accuracy.  Unless you suck obviously, but most people can aim a shotgun.  And it just stops you from running around the whole time, which is a fun thing to do when you get bored or the map sucks.

That said, the new engie shotgun is amazing and if anyone tries to remove it I swear I will travel to an foreign asian country, learn martial arts, come back 10 years later, and ninja kick them in the face.

• Venus Power
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »
they are op up close thats wat they are made for to get up close
unlike this one-->

Offline Marshii

« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »
Shotguns are not OP in any way, only maybe when engie is using one running after you but thats for engie and you can outrun him easily. Shotguns even up close take many hits whereas Flame/Flare or Flame/Axe aren't OP?
Pyro shotguns are ok anyway unless the pyro in question has fast movement cause they can keep up with you, even then, that's because the pyro has kills and they deserve those if they got them (other than stealing, but I digress).
In short, yeah they are annoying, and yes when you are around a corner and lag compensation gives the pyro the kill it's rage inducing, but they are NOT op. just think of those who join the server and get killed before they are given a chance to live? (Shooter I'm looking at you :P )...and anyone using the flare/axe combo.

Offline Marshii

Re: OP Weapons/ suggested weapon changes.
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2013, 07:17:23 pm »
*refers to other Shotgun exclusive suggestion thread ¬_¬ *

"Shotguns are not OP in any way, only maybe when engie is using one running after you but thats for engie and you can outrun him easily. Shotguns even up close take many hits whereas Flame/Flare or Flame/Axe aren't OP?
Pyro shotguns are ok anyway unless the pyro in question has fast movement cause they can keep up with you, even then, that's because the pyro has kills and they deserve those if they got them (other than stealing, but I digress).
In short, yeah they are annoying, and yes when you are around a corner and lag compensation gives the pyro the kill it's rage inducing, but they are NOT op. just think of those who join the server and get killed before they are given a chance to live? (Shooter I'm looking at you :P )...and anyone using the flare/axe combo."

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:34 pm »
They are annoying, yes, but not really OP. If you are running in a bigger map, it's much easier to dodge them. In a smaller map like Headquarters or Maze? Very, very annoying. It doesn't take much skill to use it, and unless you're really that bad that you can't aim at all with it, then you're guaranteed to get a hit or two in. But, as painpill said, I'd much rather be killed with a flare gun as it actually requires some skill to aim.

As for getting my kill stolen by someone using a shotgun, that just angers me. I flare a prop, they're about to die, then some shotty comes along and kills them from far away. :(

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
I have a feeling this vote is not to see how the community feels about the balance of shotguns. I think it may be an attempt by Joshy to express his displeasure with the shotgun in this mode. Maybe.

And then Voidy merged the thread and my sarcastic quip made much less sense.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:55:15 pm by jay50jay »
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:38 pm »
I've merged the shotgun thread into this thread, expect odd looking posts.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2013, 08:11:21 pm »
The reason nobody has really complained this until late (other than this new wave of faggot babies) is because prior to this last year, weapon switching caused you to lose any speed buildup you made by killing props. So, much like Shooter said, most people use THEIR PRIMARY weapon: the flamethrower. I use shotgun as a desperate attempt to knock off the last 5-20 hp or so if the prop is running away out of the flamethrower's reach.

Now that everybody is spoiled and keeps their health upon weapon switch, people such as Josh, Shooter etc can get away with a tiny 2 flamethrower-ammo tap of M1, then rely on that secondary flare to instagib the prop.

Given that comparison between those 2 scenarios, you can really see that the shotgun isn't OP.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
ITT: Debate interspersed with "Hey guys I played prop hunt once, I know what I'm talking about. No, really!" Who knew shotgun was such a big issue.

The reason nobody has really complained this until late (other than this new wave of faggot babies) is because prior to this last year, weapon switching caused you to lose any speed buildup you made by killing props. So, much like Shooter said, most people use THEIR PRIMARY weapon: the flamethrower. I use shotgun as a desperate attempt to knock off the last 5-20 hp or so if the prop is running away out of the flamethrower's reach.

Now that everybody is spoiled and keeps their health upon weapon switch, people such as Josh, Shooter etc can get away with a tiny 2 flamethrower-ammo tap of M1, then rely on that secondary flare to instagib the prop.

Given that comparison between those 2 scenarios, you can really see that the shotgun isn't OP.

Dodging my flare's no different from dodging your flames except that I can only shoot a flare every 1.6 seconds.

Also, I didn't know that weapon switch caused you to lose speed. I think that's a bad idea because it promotes only flamethrower use. D:

Shotguns are not OP in any way, only maybe when engie is using one running after you but thats for engie and you can outrun him easily. Shotguns even up close take many hits whereas Flame/Flare or Flame/Axe aren't OP?
In short, yeah they are annoying, and yes when you are around a corner and lag compensation gives the pyro the kill it's rage inducing, but they are NOT op. just think of those who join the server and get killed before they are given a chance to live? (Shooter I'm looking at you :P )...and anyone using the flare/axe combo.

1) Engie, soldier, and heavy all have 6-shot shotguns. I think the only one that's a problem is the soldier because of the increased mobility; engie and heavy are, well, slow.
2) Anyone can run away from me and my flares, I seem to have no problem doing it to you. Getting killed before you have a chance isn't my fault when you (generalizing here) don't run.
3) Axe sucks. All the power of the flare and less aim required than the shotgun. Also can't really be dodged except by being out of range.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:39:14 pm by Shooter` »

Offline Marshii

« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:30 am »
Of course you can move out of the way of flares / axe very easily, especially for regulars or those who generally know what they're doing. What about for those who are new to the mod or the game itself? How do they stand a chance? Many people don't seem to realise they can even run when they're seen and just sit there waiting for their health to run down.
My point is simply to contrast the complaints for regulars about annoyances of a shotgun compared to people wanting to have fun but are relentlessly slaughtered. As I have said many times before, I think of those new to the mod rather than my own rank/points.....unlike some.