Author Topic: Folding@home and playing games  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Honeycoin

• Dosh.
Folding@home and playing games
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »
So I have a Folding@Home client running on my GPU. If I run Team Fortress 2 on here, or Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2, Loadout, The Sims 2 on this setup, will it hurt anything?

There was this one time I left it alone for a long time playing nothing but Facebook games and all it did was make them run slow, but unfortunately for the Folding client, it dumped the work unit saying it was corrupt, or it had invalid data.  I had been running stock 1050/1150 on my new ASUS R7-250 since the day I got it (3 months old).

Offline Calcium

• apsolubely ebin :DDDD
Re: Folding@home and playing games
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:32:59 pm »
Most distributed computing clients only run while the computer is idle  (CPU/GPU usage is below a set %), or they will run 24/7 and use any resources that are not in use by any other process. IIRC F@H falls into the second category for CPU computing but since you said that you are using the GPU client I have no idea if this would be true in your case. IMO you are better off not running F@H while trying to do anything else that requires more GPU than something like watching HD YouTube videos.