Author Topic: Map revisions thread V2  (Read 7207 times)

Offline h_twenty

• The Demopan is only OP when I play him.
Map revisions thread V2
« on: July 30, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
Ok, so I guess I'm back (for those who remember me). I recently got a new computer, and I forgot to get the map projects I was working on onto this one, so I'll have to do that some time this week. For now, I can work on zf_stinks. I will be re-doing it, in this thread, you can post maps you think need help or suggestions for the current project at hand (for now, its zf_stinks).
Thanks.

*EDIT*
I just started working on zf_stinks, and I see now that the guy who made this was an idiot.

I'm going to add:
A small body of water
Slightly bumpy terrain
Trees that don't have magical forcefields around them
Upgraded existing structures
Maybe another structure?
Zombie spawn moved off of the map (its just taking up space, it can do just fine in the void)
stuff
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:38:33 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.
I'm h_twenty, and I approve this messege.

Offline Monsieur

Re: Map revisions thread V2
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »
Welcome back h_twenty !  8)

Good idea, revamping some old maps ! They certainly need a good paintjob !  ;)

So far, what was missing ?

Ideas:
-Air vents
-Secret room (people loves them)
-Redo the little shed near the primary building (never saw anyone holding there... Maybe you could make some nuclear shelter ?)
-Conga dancing Club ? (Something crazy like in zf_farmfield from that old Kermit)
-Electrical cabinet.  Need to bind "use" to trigger it, allowing you to switch on/off the lights in a building.
(yes, I've got MOAR stupid ideas to allow players to interact with the environment. Don't know how much work this needs or if you have the knowledge to do it)

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »
Welcome back h_twenty !  8)

Good idea, revamping some old maps ! They certainly need a good paintjob !  ;)

So far, what was missing ?

Ideas:
-Air vents
-Secret room (people loves them)
-Redo the little shed near the primary building (never saw anyone holding there... Maybe you could make some nuclear shelter ?)
-Conga dancing Club ? (Something crazy like in zf_farmfield from that old Kermit)
-Electrical cabinet.  Need to bind "use" to trigger it, allowing you to switch on/off the lights in a building.
(yes, I've got MOAR stupid ideas to allow players to interact with the environment. Don't know how much work this needs or if you have the knowledge to do it)
Nonsense, none of those ideas are stupid! I will try to implement them to the best of my abilities, once I boot up hammer, I'll compile and take screenshots of what I've done so far.
Joined during 2011.

Offline Monsieur

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:09 am »
So lets talk about zf_stinks:

-What's this place ? (ex: Lab, industry, coffee shop, hotel, etc...)

-What story will this map tell us ? (Survivor trying to run and escape ? Barricade themselves in shelter ? Put an end to the zombie plague ? etc..)

These are 2 questions that we need answered.

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:42 pm »
So lets talk about zf_stinks:

-What's this place ? (ex: Lab, industry, coffee shop, hotel, etc...)

-What story will this map tell us ? (Survivor trying to run and escape ? Barricade themselves in shelter ? Put an end to the zombie plague ? etc..)

These are 2 questions that we need answered.
Alright, well this is how I'll try to do it.
I'll release version after version instead of keeping everyone waiting for a while. I'll add things in not-so-small increments, and in the meantime, I can release zf_cliff_v3 (once I'm sure its all good to go, which might be at the end of the day)

Edit:
Zf_cliff_v3 is almost almost done.
Changes added:
Second zombie spawn (replaces one of the buildings)
A new structure with two barrels that will spawn either a medium or small healthkit/ammopack when broken.
A cave at the bottom of the mountain with a generator in it that, once blown up, will disable all the electric lights on the map.
Cave at the bottom connects to the top of the cliff
zf_cliff is now at night, I'll also release a version thats day but with all the new stuff
Thats all I can remember.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:49:44 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.

Offline Monsieur

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 05:04:33 am »
Amazing ! Good job implementing some of my ideas :D

Can't wait to see the map and post a review !

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »

I am uploading a DEMO video to youtube, as soon as its finished uploading, I'll post the link.
Youtube is being a huge cunt, I can't upload. I'll just have to post screenshots >:L
Nevermind, now I don't feel like doing that either. sorry guise.

Amazing ! Good job implementing some of my ideas :D

Can't wait to see the map and post a review !
Well I never got to put those in zf_cliff, as I was doing the main work about 6 months ago, I was only touching it up. But in zf_stinks, I can add them. Right now, I am working on another structure where survivors can hold out.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:31:39 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.

Offline Monsieur

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 05:55:16 pm »
I am uploading a DEMO video to youtube, as soon as its finished uploading, I'll post the link.
Youtube is being a huge cunt, I can't upload. I'll just have to post screenshots >:L
Nevermind, now I don't feel like doing that either. sorry guise.

Hahaha, I know how you feel ;) .
Well, let's just wait until Voidy adds it on the map rotation.

I would love on day to appear on the credits  :'(

[EDIT 5 August:]

After reviewing the place, I think you can add something like brakeable floor part/walls for some house/shed ?
And after adjusting the lights, (demand from voidy) I will need to see if the lights powered by the generator are still "usefull".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:02:01 pm by Monsieur »

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »
Hahaha, I know how you feel ;) .
Well, let's just wait until Voidy adds it on the map rotation.

I would love on day to appear on the credits  :'(

[EDIT 5 August:]

After reviewing the place, I think you can add something like brakeable floor part/walls for some house/shed ?
And after adjusting the lights, (demand from voidy) I will need to see if the lights powered by the generator are still "usefull".

Yeah, thats a real problem. I was even debating with myself if it was actually worth keeping the electric lights+generator since I made it lighter. Idk, I'm trying to move back to zf_stinks, and in my opinion, its coming along really well.
Just real quick, I changed the indoor-carpets from the shitty red to a better red carpet, should I just change them alltogether to a different carpet texture(custom)? I'll post screenshots in a few seconds.

Top: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ytnewt_h/screenshot/572274571141305496
Bottom: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ytnewt_h/screenshot/572274571141303312
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 03:15:17 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.

Offline Punishment_Fatal

• Full Admin
  • Hat Fancier
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »
Yeah, thats a real problem. I was even debating with myself if it was actually worth keeping the electric lights+generator since I made it lighter. Idk, I'm trying to move back to zf_stinks, and in my opinion, its coming along really well.
Just real quick, I changed the indoor-carpets from the shitty red to a better red carpet, should I just change them alltogether to a different carpet texture(custom)? I'll post screenshots in a few seconds.

Top: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ytnewt_h/screenshot/572274571141305496
Bottom: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ytnewt_h/screenshot/572274571141303312

I like the custom texture better than red carpet.

Usually around Trading Hell and Zombie Hell. Message me on Steam if you need something.

Offline Monsieur

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 07:26:54 am »
I agree, custom feels better than the old red.

Don't forget to add some decals on the walls !
Or it would be too... blank ?

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 02:56:20 pm »
I agree, custom feels better than the old red.

Don't forget to add some decals on the walls !
Or it would be too... blank ?
I could try to add stuff, what were you thinking? Like bills posted or blood? Because I tried spicing things up by putting more things near the walls (Tape-reel racks, utility/junction boxes, boxes, other stuff I can't remember.)

ALSO, I can't put out a decent changelog for shit, but I'll try. Whats new so far:
Re-texured everything
Rain
Optimized (less visleafs, less bullshit-ly crafted things)
Soundscapes (outside = Rain+Thunder, inside = Quiet Rain+Lights buzzing)
Small pond
Respawn room kills itself from the world when the round starts (I don't know if you guys have this problem, but I do. Its when I'm about to change classes and the round starts or the round already started, which switches me to zambo, which is very fucking annoying.)
Zombie spawn is now off the map, giving more room
Trees aren't enchanted (invisible walls are removed. If you think this will be a problem, it won't be. There isn't enough open space to hide in the trees and win.)
Basement added (accessible through that small wooden holdout nobody uses)
Zombie teleporter gives a second entrance to the basement
Displacements (slightly bumpy terrain)
I'll edit when I remember more (or check)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:42:56 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:10:01 pm »
can u reduce that map time to stay alive to win from 7 to like 4 or 5 mins cause 7 is way to long and everyone dies around lets say 1 min in due to bad set up

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 02:41:38 pm »
can u reduce that map time to stay alive to win from 7 to like 4 or 5 mins cause 7 is way to long and everyone dies around lets say 1 min in due to bad set up
I know what you mean, I really don't feel like thats the survivors' fault. The only place survivors stand any sort of chance is in the main building, and that one has only one medium healthkit and one medium ammokit, I plan on adding 3 sets of small kits (ammo, health) around the building to remedy this. The survivors can get swamped in seconds because the zombies can attack from so many angles (teleporter, stairs, toxic below). Just the other day, I went hunter w/ warrior's spirit heavy and fucked every single one of them in their asses (I used the teleporter).

I might add one more structure and increasing the time limit to perhaps 8 minutes. So far, there is:
That wooden building with the breakable stuff, the small wooden lodging, the basement (accessible through the small wooden lodging), and the main red building. I also intend on increasing the setup time, so the survivors can get to where they want and set up before everyone starts coming.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 02:55:17 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.

Offline h_twenty

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »
LE EPIC BUMP/DOUBLE POST

I'd like to publicly thank Monsieur for putting so much effort into testing the new zf_stinks_v2 and coming up with future ideas.
Joined during 2011.