Author Topic: Sniper exploits discussion  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
  • Acta non verba (actions not words)
Sniper exploits discussion
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:50 pm »
I felt like I needed to address something that might be very irritating to a lot of hales, whether it be VSH or FF2. This issue is snipers (and certain other classes, if they are skilled enough) getting onto very narrow, high spots that are VERY difficult for a hale to get them down. A prime example is Manncohq, and all those light poles. On other servers the tops of the poles are worked so that the snipers can't stand on top of the ones on the right hand side by the players spawn, or they are kill boxes. The ones by the building are easy enough to jump up to, but the ones by spawn require a fully charged jump, and proper airstrafing skills to have a -chance- to hit the players. HHH has less issues due to his teleport, but other hales cannot teleport, and HHH is at a disadvantage because of his teleport and having a longish cooldown. He is forced to climb after snipers on top of the poles and risk being goomba'd 3+ times getting to where he can kill them if he doesn't want to wait for his teleport constantly.

Other maps have spots that are very similar to this, and the players on the server don't help the often inexperienced hales who don't know how to airstrafe and will often die frustrated since they have no choice but to watch their health slowly be picked off.

So what do you guys think? I want to say they aren't exploit spots, but they are unfair spots to hales, and I would like to see the boxes added so that players can't stand on them.
Why am I gay? You should first ask: Why are you straight?

Superbia offerent tibi non animi pacem
(Pride will offer you no peace of mind)

Offline crab

• literally sweating while trying hard
Re: Sniper exploits discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »
There's a difference between an exploit and strong positioning.
You seem to be addressing the latter.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:52:36 pm »
A lot of players agree with you who are regulars on the VSH server, but I always feel bad watching a hale with 6000+ HP drop dead to 4-5 snipers because they weren't able to reach them. Thus the point of this discussion, who is supposed to have more power, the players, or the hale? I would like to see a balance, the hale should have a fair chance to kill all the players, not have half the team climb to near complete safety.

Offline Punishment_Fatal

• Full Admin
  • Hat Fancier
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:05:07 pm »
If you have Saxton Hale and Astronaut with super jump, you could easily charge up the jump with the RMouse button before getting to the lightpole. When you do this, it makes it so that you can easily goomba the Snipers instead from your jump height and also not be a sitting duck when charging it up with Crouch.

Usually around Trading Hell and Zombie Hell. Message me on Steam if you need something.

Offline Novaxzx

• It's a Featureā„¢
  • Full Admin
  • YOU'VE DINKLED MY BERRIES!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »
I personally feel like sniper should have a class limit of 3 or 4.
Berry Dinkler.

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:56:55 pm »
its class limit for ten

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:40:23 pm »
They used to be limited to 3 but then no one ever got to be sniper so its 10 and its wonderful.
10 sniper is both viable and bad at the same time
They just eat the boss' health from every corner of the map which is what sniper is supposed to do.
But they can't do too much when getting chased down.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:43:42 pm by Lunacy »
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline LEON35

• Eat shit :D
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
They used to be limited to 3 but then no one ever got to be sniper so its 10 and its wonderful.
10 sniper is both viable and bad at the same time
They just eat the boss' health from every corner of the map which is what sniper is supposed to do.
But they can't do too much when getting chased down.

I agree that it should be nerfed, but not too much, since there are hales that don't have super jump and in rare cases, crappy teleports from which you can escape easily. A class limit of 5 should do well.

I took down 10 Snipers on Mann Co HQ, most being on the lights...most of them being FF2 regulars....as Gumpy...who has no stomp....and I still won the round.
But that was when I was Hale. Me. If it was a random nub or casual regular, it would have been a very opposite outcome.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:51:50 pm by LEON35 »

Offline Turkle

• Full Admin
  • Video games suck
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 10:00:04 pm »
It would probably be better to just make the bushwacka jump eat away more damage. Snipers couldn't get to places as high or be able to avoid Hale for 2 minutes  by hitting walls.

Although it really isn't an issue for any player with experience, the common person is terrible at jumping and has a hard time with mobile snipers.

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:20:42 pm »
I am a decent hale, and I still find it frustrating sometimes to get them down from those poles, especially as bosses who have high knockback, since one well placed shot forces you to wait till you can jump again. It isn't impossible getting them down, just difficult and sometimes irritating if there is more then one skilled sniper, since you can't just force a cap on them if there is more then 2.

Offline crab

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:41:27 pm »
especially as bosses who have high knockback
actually because rifles crit they will knock any hale back, or at least slow them down in mid-air
this can be fixed by making them minicrits which i honestly believe is fair

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 09:43:12 pm »
the only thing sniper piss me off when im being hale is their huntsman spam(thats why i go ash willams) their piss rifle charge time, and the spots they can reach too but i would like to see sniper limit be maybe around 7 cause they are op on maps like mann co hq

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:09:57 pm »
this can be fixed by making them minicrits which i honestly believe is fair
Some servers remove sniper crits but give them 200% (x3) damage bonus so they don't do any less damage, but doing that does not reward skill (headshots still crit for 450 instead of 1350)
Was on one server where a fully charged snipe did 100 damage, it was easily the worst hale server I had been to.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:12:36 pm by Lunacy »
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline LEON35

• Eat shit :D
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 06:26:11 pm »
Some servers remove sniper crits but give them 200% (x3) damage bonus so they don't do any less damage, but doing that does not reward skill (headshots still crit for 450 instead of 1350)
Was on one server where a fully charged snipe did 100 damage, it was easily the worst hale server I had been to.

Was it a friendly fire server
lol friendly fire servers

Offline crab

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 05:43:17 am »
(headshots still crit for 450 instead of 1350)
is this a bad thing