Author Topic: Map revision/additions  (Read 6562 times)

Offline h_twenty

• The Demopan is only OP when I play him.
Re: Map revision/additions
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »
Looks pretty solid, a much needed makeover for the original, very boring map. The ladders are a great addition. I can't recommend too much without seeing it played a bunch, but there's a couple things I would mention.

-Can survivors jump onto the roof, or is there ye old invisible wall?
-Might want to up the HP for the porch, it disappears in just a handful of hits. At that point, it might as well not be there at all.
-Some boards on the windows for the second and third floors might be apropos
-It's still kind of a boring map, thematically. Just a simple building and little else. Perhaps playing with the room structure a bit, adding a basement level, or adding something new all together might spruce it up.

Either way, I highly appreciate you taking this task on. I'll go through all the maps and leave my thoughts on what could use some work.
You see, I kinda of had a really shitty map to work with, so sorry if its not everything you expected. Some examples of what I mean by shitty:
-There was a leak (props were sticking out of the bottom brush and into the void)
-Two areas that look messily lifted as though one would lift a carpet
-No cubemaps
-No props to make the source of light believable
-No 3D skybox (only reason one is needed here is because the map boundaries were not disguised enough)
-The entire mansion was a func_breakable (I laughed longer than I should have about this)

Wow, okay. Looks like I've got some shit to do.
And thanks again for suggesting all that.

So, I'll get working on cliff. As you suggested, I'll be changing it to night and remaking one of the shacks into another zombie spawn.

**EDIT** Where the fuck is the light_enviroment
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:36:10 pm by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.
I'm h_twenty, and I approve this messege.

Offline Ever, Greatest

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:53 pm »
Just got done playing the new tunnel (I hadn't seen your original post...I'm a goof), and I'm very, very impressed. Much more playable now. I think an air duct leading from the right side - the dark room with the electricity - leading up into the ceiling, and dropping down into one of the spawn rooms, probably the one further from the cap, would do very well. Staggeringly great improvement, I have to say, many kudos. I'd love to learn how to do this stuff myself, if you can offer some pointers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:38:57 pm by Ever, Greatest »

Offline h_twenty

• The Demopan is only OP when I play him.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:59 pm »
Thank you very much, I put a lot of effort into my maps! :)

And if you're looking to become a good mapper, then this is your guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/rocketrascal34 . And don't hesitate to use the Valve Developer Wiki.

And perhaps a final pointer: Look into
steam>steamapps>common>"game which has been converted to steam pipeline">bin
There you'll find a file named "hammer". Do not copy or cut this out of its folder, just make a shortcut to the desktop. When you open it and a menu pops up, select the game name from where you found it. And it probably wouldn't hurt to rename each hammer to its respective game. The reason why you should look to get any of the SDKs of the games, is because the steam pipeline update fucked SourceSDK up really badly.

**EDIT**
Progress on the darker cliff: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ytnewt_h/screenshot/3405020349368553234
That is a gray-based dark. I could try other colors if you suggest them. I could also try other levels of darkness, just suggest those too or add me on steam.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:11:14 am by h_twenty »
Joined during 2011.
I'm h_twenty, and I approve this messege.