Author Topic: Map and boss voting  (Read 6465 times)

Offline hammer777

• I'm lovin it
Map and boss voting
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:47:17 am »
Didnt see anything in this part of the forums about it so i decided to make a topic. I heard someone suggest it so the credit for the idea goes to them though i cant remember who exactly.

I believe that if it was possible, it might be a good idea to randomize the maps and boss sets for each person to help prevent first number spaming. The idea is that each persons maps would be the same but in a different order.
Ex Person 1                                            Person 2
    1 vsh_ram_shacked_b6                     1 vsh_farm_feud
    2 vsh_farm_feud                                2 vsh_old_town_b3
    3 vsh_apg_v2                                    3 vsh_ram_shacked_b6
    4 vsh_old_town_b3                           4 vsh_apg_v2

If there is a way to do this, it could help with maps being chosen because people actually want them rather than maps being chosen because they are the first number.

Another idea that came up is bringing back the random button. Specifically for choosing the boss sets. Personally, i feel that each set has both easy and hard to beat hales  less a few bosses that i am not fond of. I like the idea of not knowing exactly what hand full or so amount of bosses to expect. These are just some ideas that i thought were worth mentioning.
You got wrecked, son!

Offline LEON35

• Eat shit :D
Re: Map and boss voting
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:56 pm »
Yay Hammy posts on Fourms for once 8)

Anyway, this idea sounds good, but won't the other players just spam 1, regardless of the map?
I was on a Counter Strike: Source server that replaced 1 and 2 with "Choose" and "Wisely", and I saw many people pick different maps, which means it worked.

Offline hammer777

• I'm lovin it
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:27:59 pm »
Yeah, voidy took out the first 2 choices but in the end people spammed 3 a lot of the time. i think adding a random system will make it so that maps that people actually want will be more likely to win. The votes will be spread out if the sets are random, but the map that people will go out of their way to vote for, ie maps most likely not 1 or 2 on their lists, will be more likely to win. The idea isnt perfect cause people will still spam easier numbers but it will improve the chances of a map being chosen based on if people want to play it. it puts more emphasis on the map rather than the number and it will help make people who get others to vote for a map rather than a number to win. Not fool-proof but i believe i could really help
You got wrecked, son!

Offline LEON35

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:52:50 pm »
Yeah, voidy took out the first 2 choices but in the end people spammed 3 a lot of the time. i think adding a random system will make it so that maps that people actually want will be more likely to win. The votes will be spread out if the sets are random, but the map that people will go out of their way to vote for, ie maps most likely not 1 or 2 on their lists, will be more likely to win. The idea isnt perfect cause people will still spam easier numbers but it will improve the chances of a map being chosen based on if people want to play it. it puts more emphasis on the map rather than the number and it will help make people who get others to vote for a map rather than a number to win. Not fool-proof but i believe i could really help

Hmm, you're right

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »

Something like that was actually added a few days ago. Instead of always removing 1 and 2, it will now randomly remove 1 and 2, making the first selection range from the 1 key to the 3 key.

Any modifications past that (such as giving a random list of maps for every player like you suggested in the OP) would require considerably reworking the mapchooser plugin.

As for boss votes, I've got more control over that as I had already rewritten that code so that modifications would be easy in the future. I had planned on adding a "Random Set" option, but I'm not sure what else would be warranted. Additionally it'd be sort of confusing to add it as the first option, because then voting for "Set 1" would be done with the 2 key, which would confuse players if someone says "vote 1" or "vote 2", etc.

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 06:53:36 am »
make vote:1 = random
???
and then map vote appears when I Really need to switch weapon, then i die cuz i had to vote instead of pulling out my getaway item
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline Cube

• OMG U PLAY FF U FAG
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:29:35 pm »
This convo been had like 10 times

Offline LEON35

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
Well removing 1 and 2  didn't help, since everyone just keeps spamming the next closest number...