Author Topic: Expert Mode?  (Read 8839 times)

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
  • On a THC powered rocket ship to the moon.
Expert Mode?
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:55:18 am »
Anyone think it would be good to get a sort of expert mode option for donators for the "boss" servers?  Or everyone, but I imagine it would get annoying when newer players use it without knowing what it is.

It would basically be a hale round where you only get like half the health and you lose the ability to use rage.  Or just some sort of harder option for hale regulars who can usually run through the entire team without raging anyway.  Especially at certain times of day when not many regulars are online.  Just thought it would be worth asking.

Offline Shae

• Saxton hell's local black gentleman.
Re: Expert Mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:21:31 am »
I dunno. I'm too much of a casual to accept this suggestion lol.

I prefer a tofu fried chicken substitute.

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:57:44 am »
regulars know who is good and normally throw out the ol' "It's <Some regular> were all dead" and normally dont try as hard.

Offline Dangly Parts

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 03:13:33 pm »
We do have two VS. Saxton Hale servers...
Till are quenched ~ Pepsi Convoy

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »
Just to be clear I am talking about having this as an option like !ghostmode or !haleboss.  As in, you can turn it on and off.  Just for times when you want an extra challenge.

Offline Rukrio

• the village idiot
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:12:25 pm »
Just to be clear I am talking about having this as an option like !ghostmode or !haleboss.  As in, you can turn it on and off.  Just for times when you want an extra challenge.

another thing to consider is that a well played scout with the new scattergun could in theory outrun any hale forever (implying that they stick to pro mode as stated) in it's current state once they dish out enough damage. this also assumes that the scout finds a way out of any situation without resorting to jumping when possible.

an alternitive way is to have hale unable to cap with this mode on (since everybody whines about it when it happens, no exceptions) but give him the ability to rage. if someone attempts capping, the rage meter begins filling until either the cap is complete or the capper or hale dies.

Help. I don't know where this belongs.

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:17:17 pm »
were doing shit to the new scattergun anyways

Offline Shae

• Saxton hell's local black gentleman.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:19 pm »

YOU BETTER NOT.

NO NO NO NO FORGET THAT NO NO..

I gotta go fast like sanic.

I prefer a tofu fried chicken substitute.

Offline Thochun

• Unrelenting hatred against animated ponies.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:09 am »

Thank you!
A.K.A. Captain One-Shot.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:56 am »
Yea, new scatter gun is a little too fast. It's bad enough when it's just 2 scouts left, now it'll be 2 scouts that travel at light speed.

As for expert mode, I like this idea, but I don't think it's that useful. Most good players already try not to rage, and even then, sometimes there's that one engi nest that you need to rage in order to get rid of.

But I dunno, if enough people want it, sure I think I could make it.

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:40:46 am »
That's true about engie nests, that wouldn't really work and people would probably take advantage of it.

We could probably think of better penalties for hale though.  Just a way to boost the difficulty without making exploits for the players.  If anyone can think of some workable penalties that would be great.  Like:

-  Some % of health deduction from hale.
-  The hale rage meter fills up slower.
-  Every player starts with minicrits without needing to taunt.
-  Hale is always outlined (like by the sniper rifle)

I can't think of any more but just some combination of these or some other penalties.  I just think it would be a nice incentive for both sides to try harder sometimes.  You could just call it !hellmode or something and give it its own intense music to play whenever a hale has it turned on.  I think it would be fun.

Offline Rukrio

• the village idiot
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
Yea, new scatter gun is a little too fast. It's bad enough when it's just 2 scouts left, now it'll be 2 scouts that travel at light speed.

As for expert mode, I like this idea, but I don't think it's that useful. Most good players already try not to rage, and even then, sometimes there's that one engi nest that you need to rage in order to get rid of.

But I dunno, if enough people want it, sure I think I could make it.

for some dumb reason i want to suggest that hale could run faster the more he runs on the ground, with the speed boost capped at that of the new scattergun scout: but if hale does so much as to jump, he goes back to normal hale speed.

or just make it so that the new scattergun only slightly boosts max speed from the start, but remove the "damage dealt = more speed" trait.

Offline Rukrio

• the village idiot
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:39 am »
stupid idea time go~

Bastion has Gods and Halo has Skulls, why not do our take on the whole "inflict a higher difficulty on yourself for bragging rights" kind of deal? one that buffs hale's foes and nerfs hale himself?

Finish them fast: everybody has a health regen buff (+1 health regen per tick?)
Aftermath: killed foes leave behind a demoman grenade on death.
Honorable Hale, Point: Hale cannot cap, but he can defend.
Honorable Hale, Rage: Rage takes longer to build up, except under sentry fire.
Apocalypse: remember towertop's moon event? this is that, but with a time limit that rebalances itself to the amount of players there are, and if hale cannot kill them before time is up, it's considered a stalemate instead of a "win", as everybody is slain. (might need some balancing if implemented)
Rage Won't Help You: raged players can still defend themselves with melee weapons, and automatically switch to them when raged.
Toughed Up: Hale's foes start with normal overheal max as their true max hp through buffs, but medic's mediguns lose the overheal function. (might be tricky considering how many items alter max hp)