Author Topic: Rank Removal  (Read 23882 times)

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
Re: Rank Removal
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 09:49:44 am »
People will flock to Vault F4, trust me, which is good. There will be a balance between here and there. The only reason people aren't playing so frequently there is because this is the "main" ranked server, but this has happened a lot over the years first with Alpha Omega, then FreeFrag, then AO shortly when it was revived, then back to FFN and then here, with GM sprinkled throughout.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 04:56:44 pm »
Well if it does get removed honestly ill just go to a ranked server :/

So, you can't possibly have any fun on an unranked server? Even if you have friends that play on that server?

See, ranks really do matter to a lot of people. And, in turn, can, will, and has ruined friendships. Being a part of this community for a while now, I have seen the changes in people, before and after we got ranks.

Offline Laura

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 06:06:31 pm »
I know for a fact that you can have fun on an unranked server.. Like I said, I do this all the time, it is so much better for me and my select friends who do this with me. Going to an unranked server and just having fun. I'm all for ranks being taken out, honestly.

See, ranks really do matter to a lot of people. And, in turn, can, will, and has ruined friendships. Being a part of this community for a while now, I have seen the changes in people, before and after we got ranks.

They matter way too much. Yes, they can be a goal, but it's gone too far. I wasn't here for the change, but I was a regular long ago(about a year ago actually) and it was a really fun mode and not many problems between the regulars. I come back two months ago, and problems everywhere. New regulars and ranked. Yes, maybe some of the regulars can be blamed, but the ranks have a definitive role in this change.
"You didn't love her. You just didn't want to be alone. Or maybe, maybe she was good for your ego. Or, or maybe she made you feel better about your miserable life, but you didn't love her, because you don't destroy the person that you love."

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 08:26:14 pm »

If that ruins a friendship, you should take a look at who you're being friends with.
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline BLAKUboy

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:32 pm »
Honestly, I think people are just making a big to-do over nothing. >_>
I am totally the prettiest girl on the Prop Hunt server.
#PrettiestGirl2013 #SoTryhard

Offline Bubby

• Hey, I thought this was personal!
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:09 am »
I know this isn't really my place to speak, since I don't play PH very much. But, if ranks are such a big deal, keep them. If you take them out, the server will most likely take a dive in people. If you leave them in... people will be annoyed by arguements about people ruining someone's chance at a rank increase, etc.

I say leave it in if you want more people to be on, out for more fun. No one likes someone who's obsessed with wanting higher and higher ranks.
I can't sign on my computer, are you crazy?

Offline ninjaa

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »
I feel like removing ranks wouldn't really help. If the truly competitive players still play on the server without ranks, they'll still go for as many kills as possible. Those that are there just for fun will still be upset with the people who are playing extremely competitively, and the same problems will still exist.

That said, I like some of the features of the ranks (time played, weapon kill tracking, weapon records, etc.). Weapon kills/records especially have made prophunt more fun for me, because it's caused me to challenge myself to use weapons/strategies that I might not have used otherwise.

The actual rankings and points don't matter that much to me. It's kind of nice to see when I go up in rank, but not that big of a deal.

Offline WhiteLightning

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 06:32:22 pm »
I agree with ninjaa. If ranks are taken out, the competitive people will either stop playing here or just play the same way as before. While ranks matter to some, it's more their gamestyle than anything else. And honestly, you can't get angry at these people. They are playing prophunt the way it was designed, without breaking the rules. And I'm fairly sure they're having fun or they wouldn't be playing.

One idea I have had for a while, but would be more difficult than the other two options or either having ranks or not having them, is to make a different rank system. One similar to dodgeball. It wouldn't keep track of your hours played, total kills, kill/death ratio, just your best. For example, the top kills in one map on say Oasis. It would show the best of each players' points by the end of the map and rank them. The upside, in my view, to this is that people can mess around and have fun without worrying about what it will do to their rank, but there will still have a competitive side some people like. Just an idea.

Offline mongolian-bbq

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »
I agree with white and ninjaa, except that the dodgeball ranking system might encourage people to teamswitch onto blu to hunt and get more points, while on dodgeball it isn't a problem because both sides get to reflect.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2013, 06:39:27 pm »
I agree with white and ninjaa, except that the dodgeball ranking system might encourage people to teamswitch onto blu to hunt and get more points, while on dodgeball it isn't a problem because both sides get to reflect.

Eliminate picking teams. People can try to switch but that makes it a little trickier.

Offline BLAKUboy

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »
As if they don't already?
I am totally the prettiest girl on the Prop Hunt server.
#PrettiestGirl2013 #SoTryhard

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
How about "Most Kills on Blue", "Most Kills on Red".

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40:45 pm »
We don't control the stats system enough to make any changes like that. That's better suggested at GM.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »
We don't control the stats system enough to make any changes like that. That's better suggested at GM.

I think he was suggesting to scrap the GM one and write your own. I'm fairly sure that's an out-of-the-question time investment, though, and I would suggest picking up the SourceOP "credit" system over what we have now. I think Drunken F00l released all of the SourceOP code as an open-source project after he got hired at Valve.

How about "Most Kills on Blue", "Most Kills on Red".

Give the non-admins access to the force team-switch commands and I'm all for this.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:45:32 pm by Shooter` »

Offline WhiteLightning

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:10 pm »
To clarify, yes, in my post I was suggesting to stop using the GM ranking system and make a new one. But what Shooter said is true; it might be too difficult and or time consuming to create a whole new rank system.