Author Topic: Prophunt Admins  (Read 22975 times)

Offline Shooter`

Re: Prophunt Admins
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »
Am I one of the few that doesn't see this apparent overwhelming amount of ghosting?

I don't either. Ghosting over the mic/game chat is almost nonexistent and ghosting through steam friends chat is even less. Also, most people who can aim don't ghost so it's usually not a problem outrunning the groups of friends who decide to.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 11:46:20 am »
I completely agree with the outlawing of votekick/ban/mute etc .

With regard to the issue of ghosting, Hoodie, I think that hourly is probably an overstatement but it does happen daily. The problem with ghosting is that it doesn't have to be in game chat, friends may be on opposite teams while being in the same skype call and there would be no way of policing this unless they aroused suspicion.

Possibly what needs to be done is to raise the awareness of the rules with players who are not regulars on the server. I'm not sure about anyone else but I rarely read the chat during rounds so any messages about rules would go unnoticed. Maybe an initial solution to this is to use the same system for when players are asked to vote for map ratings, but just to use that 'pop-up box' as a message board explaining the rule of ghosting and that reasonable suspicion is all that is needed in order for a report to an admin to be investigated.

This may be a start but I do maintain that a group of admins for PH would be beneficial.
===============================
With respect Box and Shooter, you guys are so skilled at the game that ghosting either goes unnoticed by you or doesn't affect you anyway. With regard to your point Box about not seeing the issue - you are rarely on PH and so can't really make an accurate judgement.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:48:16 am by Marshii »

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:45 pm »
The problem with ghosting is that it doesn't have to be in game chat, friends may be on opposite teams while being in the same skype call and there would be no way of policing this unless they aroused suspicion.
reasonable suspicion is all that is needed in order for a report to an admin to be investigated.

Reasonable suspicion? How are we going to enforce that? Interrogate people and force them to divulge who they spend time with on steam and skype? That's not very feasible, and would border on totalitarian administration.

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:44 pm »
Reasonable suspicion? How are we going to enforce that? Interrogate people and force them to divulge who they spend time with on steam and skype? That's not very feasible, and would border on totalitarian administration.
Big Voidy is watching.
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 04:31:34 pm »

You can mostly always tell when you are being ghosted out because a pyro will stop and look around slowly, stare at you and then attack. All I'm saying is it is at these times that what 'ghosting' is and it's implications are brought to the knowledge of everyone on the server. I find it slightly insulting for people to think I would suggest totalitarian measures; that is ridiculous.
What I suggest above would need to be repeated several times in order for me to have reasonable suspicion although most ghosting occurs in the game chat so 'interrogation' and forcing people to admit is unnecessary and quite outrageous.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 05:00:04 pm »
You can mostly always tell when you are being ghosted out because a pyro will stop and look around slowly, stare at you and then attack. All I'm saying is it is at these times that what 'ghosting' is and it's implications are brought to the knowledge of everyone on the server. I find it slightly insulting for people to think I would suggest totalitarian measures; that is ridiculous.
What I suggest above would need to be repeated several times in order for me to have reasonable suspicion although most ghosting occurs in the game chat so 'interrogation' and forcing people to admit is unnecessary and quite outrageous.

My point was that that type of ghosting is not enforceable. We can't punish players because someone can "mostly always tell" when someone is ghosting through other lines of communication. There needs to be clear cut evidence in order for the admins to take action.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »
Of course you need evidence, but the (hollow) threat should be enough to dissuade those from continuing.

Offline mongolian-bbq

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 01:48:46 am »
I know ghosting is a problem and I would agree that it happens on SH, but I would have to side with box and Voidy in that it really isn't very prevalent or serious. Sure it happens every once and a while, but nine times out of ten it is just someone who doesn't know any better and a stern word or two is enough to get them to stop. I understand nobody likes it and it disrupts gameplay but I don't really think it warrants any extra work on the side of the admins at the moment.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »
Also the noobs tend to think everybody is ghosting when a lot of people just know the props and maps well. I look at my peripheral a lot so I spot props that aren't even in my general direction of travel.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »
Also the noobs tend to think everybody is ghosting when a lot of people just know the props and maps well. I look at my peripheral a lot so I spot props that aren't even in my general direction of travel.

I'm fairly surprised the admins don't have to deal with a lot of complaints of "NO REALLY GUYS X PLAYER IS HACKING!!!". We get it often enough in game chat.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »
As long as kousti and Henri3 don't decide to come over here, you guys don't have a ghosting problem... >.>
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Marshii

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 10:29:37 am »
Just a quick thing that came to my attention recently; many are finding loop holes in the rules section as to what ghosting is - I can't remember off the top of my head what is written there but I don't think it encompasses props and/or hiding spots (even if dead on blue etc).
Again, usually lots of regulars on a server will give 'stern words' and usually ghosting will cease, I'm just mindful that you might not have regulars on the server to do this on some occasions.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:58 pm »
Just a quick thing that came to my attention recently; many are finding loop holes in the rules section as to what ghosting is - I can't remember off the top of my head what is written there but I don't think it encompasses props and/or hiding spots (even if dead on blue etc).
Again, usually lots of regulars on a server will give 'stern words' and usually ghosting will cease, I'm just mindful that you might not have regulars on the server to do this on some occasions.

The rule says not to give out locations of RED team members (besides your own spot) and some people think that makes it fine to say what prop people are, usually when it's down to one or two props.

I don't think it's a giant problem compared to giving out spots because I already know what props should and shouldn't be there for every map but I suppose it could help people who don't know what they're doing. However, I don't see it changing even if the rule is changed because not many people bother to read the rules.

Maybe if the server specific rules were added to the MOTD that appears on map start and the MOTD was forced for 3-5 seconds before it could be closed?

Offline Le Joshyboy

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
Start a poll or somthing about this?

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 01:46:53 pm »
Ghosting as I remember it from The Old Days:

-Spectators announcing what props are where
-Red teammates announcing what props are where
-Blu teammates can call out props, including the last prop alive, until they are shot dead. Once dead, you can't spectate a teammate and use their camera look to call out the remaining props. Just because you can spot it on their camera doesn't mean they can.