Author Topic: Prophunt Admins  (Read 23020 times)

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
  • On a THC powered rocket ship to the moon.
Re: Prophunt Admins
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:31:28 pm »
Having a votemute/gag/ban probably will never happen for the record.  It's been brought up before even as a donator-only ability and they didn't go for it.  And if it isn't a donator restricted ability it would be constantly abused.

That said the ghosting does get annoying.  And the teamkilling teamswitch exploit as well.  ..etc

I just don't think they like getting new admins because these are servers that run on donations so finding admins who won't abuse powers or generally piss people off is actually important.  Just being a regular really isn't enough.

Offline Hoodie

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 11:40:16 pm »
True points 9mm. The reason I suggested regulars from the prophunt server itself is because the ghosting and such happen on a daily basis, so would it not make sense to entrust the power of say, a moderator/trail admin/admin/Whatever the solution is to somebody who is usual online anyways.

I don't use the term one because, even though having one would help a large amount, there are timezones and scheduals people have, meaning more than one. Nothing massive like 10, hell no. Just something to cover all the bases.

This also brings me to something I noticed. When this idea was suggested, it was meant as a way of fixing the prophunt we enjoy. But what people think is that if someone should become mod or admin, it should be them. Sure, referencing from the server would be amazing but ultimately, that is the admins call. I think I even said this in my last post, but it won't hurt to readress.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 12:02:50 pm »
It doesn't even have to be someone who is as much of a regular on the PH server now as perhaps they once were, but someone who is at least active across the Hell servers and know what they're doing in PH would suffice.

Offline Weeaboo

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »
I would honestly volunteer to be a PH admin, if only to be able to kick players who ghost.  Of course, I'm only a newbie and not really known around the servers, but hey, I would try my darndest.
Whatever they do, let's hope it's a swift decision.

Offline Hoodie

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »
I would like to be the first to point out that we have been heard.

Please welcome our two new Trail Admins: Hipster Glaceon and Luvedragon.

I wish them the best in their future ghosters/mic spammers war. I would also like to say thank you to the Admins about actually listening and producing the start of a long term solution.

Best of luck guys!

Offline WhiteLightning

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:05 pm »
I would also like to congratulate and thank Glaceon and Luvedragon on being our prophunt admins and I wish them the best of luck. Also thank you to all the admins for helping us out. I'm sure you two will be a big help.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 11:30:46 pm »
Thanks guys, we're looking forward to being able to help out. c:

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »
Does this mean you're gonna be playing again luv? :D

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »
I've definitely been wanting to play again recently. I've already been on more than I have, but once I get my mouse in the mail, I'll certainly be playing even more. :)

Offline Marshii

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 07:09:20 am »
My view on this is that we definitely need more admins / moderators on the servers at any given time, it's like running an airport with security that only operates part time - not good.
Of course there is still the problem of having too many after a while because people leave etc which is where I propose the following system;

Votes held on who should be admins for a limited term of 12 months at which point a new vote can be held - this takes into account old generation attrition and new generations entering into the game.
Personally, I think there should be in the region of 3 to 5 PH admins so that the likelihood of an admin being online at any given time is greatly increased.

The way that voting might work is for people to be given a number of votes equal to the number of admin places plus one and then they can vote on users in order of preference i.e. most preferable gets 5 points, next gets 4 and so on.
Awareness of this vote could be raised by announcements in game as with the voting on quality of maps (terrible to excellent) although if the ability for a pre-required number of hours played on the server to access the vote is possible, this would be preferred as then you would not have randomers coming on a just voting on names, we want informed voting for best results.

This is only my prototypical proposition but I think it addresses many of the problems people have raised with regard to PH admins.

--- Marshii
=============================================
This was in reply to the initial posts in this thread and is by no means a contradiction to the measures now in place, but is a possibility for future consideration if even greater efficiency was sought after.
All that is left is for me to also add my congratulations to Luve and Glaceon.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:15:38 am by Marshii »

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
THIS IS NOT A REPUBLIC

All Hail unser Führer Voided!!!!!!!

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 08:31:25 pm »
I'll try to concisely summarize my thoughts on adding admins and things such as votekick/votemute/votewhatever.

My opinions as a server operator have been mostly formed as a result of playing TF2 and observing the rules and abilities as a player on other communities.

One of the things I absolutely detest—because of this experience—is any server running voting plugins that can affect over players.

Back in the day when I originally played TF2, I played on the voogru dodgeball server, and voogru had put on a votekick plugin at some point in time.

As you can imagine, this plugin was abused in a wide range of ways: from groups of players who either got annoyed at someone's voice, to trolls who just wanted to kick another player they didn't like. Even I got kicked a few times for things not a single sensible admin would normally kick someone for.

Eventually, all this abuse led to the plugin being removed from the server.

The lesson learned? Giving players the right to vote will introduce just as many problems as it would solve. It's not a good enough solution.

As for adding more admins, we have to weigh two options: strict enforcement of the rules, and the chance for admin abuse. We all know the horrors stories about power hungry admins.

In fact, we even got burnt by that once. We used to have a trial admin who would sit on our trade server and effectively give some players special treatment over others, going as far as slapping and slaying people he thought annoyed him. I just don't want to run into this situation again.

The problem with prophunt is quite simply ghosting. If it's an issue causing severe problems, we can simply remove deadchat and alltalk and the problems will go away. Of course, then everyone pays the price of not being able to hold normal conversations with alive players while being dead.

While we had no problem selecting new trial admins for servers this time around, as I've limited their abilities to only muting and gagging to help alleviate the issue of ghosting, we still wanted to take the right steps and select the people best fit for an admin position.

One thing you'll have to realize is that eliminating trouble makers completely—and therefore, ghosting—is an impossibility, as is having admin coverage at all times.

But my question is: why do we need so many admins? Is ghosting really so much of an issue that it requires almost constant attention on the server?

There are other options besides having someone present to babysit players all the time. For one, our admins will happily look at reports of people ghosting, provided that we're supplied with at least SteamIDs so we can check the server logs. Pictures and demos along with the SteamIDs would be even better.

While it won't solve a ghosting issue immediately, repeat offenders will get their chat and voice privileges removed and slowly but surely people will learn to follow the rules.

Offline Hoodie

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »
But my question is: why do we need so many admins? Is ghosting really so much of an issue that it requires almost constant attention on the server?

Ghosting is a daily issue. Hourly even.

To those who don't play reguarly, this might not sound like something that requires attention but to most of us on the prophunt server, this ruins the game experience, even causing some people to quit entirely.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:53:36 pm by Hoodie »

Offline Knucklejoe

• Full Admin
  • Friendly Neighborhood Judo Master
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 02:55:23 pm »
Ghosting is a daily issue. Hourly even.

To those who don't play reguarly, this might not sound like something that requires attention but to most of us on the prophunt server, this ruins the game experience, even causing some people to quit entirely.
But without removing alltalk and dead chat, the admins would have to come up with some sort of schedule to be on to have an admin on prop hunt at all times. While this is possible, I don't see it as a likely fix to the problem. Just keep reporting here when it happens and someone will take care of it when they see it. It's easier to get ahold of the admins here than on steam or by hopping servers.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »
Am I one of the few that doesn't see this apparent overwhelming amount of ghosting?