Author Topic: Dodgeball Channel on Youtube  (Read 4540 times)

Offline LegendaryB3ast

Dodgeball Channel on Youtube
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
    Some of you probably know already, but about a week ago I decided to start a dodgeball-themed channel based off of TF2RJWeekly, and I guess I should post it here so more people can find out about it.
    Basically, I started off with a montage video to launch the channel, followed by a demo recording/submitting tutorial, and now I am continuing with weekly videos with an occasional short movie.

Recording & Sending Demos
    If you have no knowledge of demos, learn how to record one and follow the instructions with this tutorial:

If you have knowledge about themand want to make your own video file, here are some of the requirements (more detail in reply to Calcium's post below):
  • Must be recorded in 1280x720 resolution at max graphics settings (Model/Texture, Shadows, etc) at High and Very High.
  • Must be recorded at a locked 30 fps with audio.
  • Unless absolutely necessary, hide the netgraph, hud, and viewmodel. You shouldn't need any unless you want the speed shown in chat, then you may leave the hud on.
  • Don't edit the video much. It will only mean your work will be cut down even more when I get to it, so just keep a bit more than you want shown.
    If you guys have any demos recorded that you want to be featured in the next video, I suggest you send them as soon as possible so I can get to editing. Deadline is Friday each week. As for everyone else that hasn't seen the channel before, you should check out the existing videos!
TF2SpeedDBOTW Channel
Dodgeball Montage: 15-minute Compilation

Weekly Videos:
  • Week 1

• Week 2 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 3 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 4 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 5 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 6 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 7[/b] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
  • Week 8 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
Subscribe  ???

Other Notes:
Edit: Still haven't gotten any submissions. Try to get them in before Friday so that I have a chance to look at them and finish up edits.
Edit 2: Channel has 4 weekly videos now, and 3 movies (beginning to plot another one). Keep submissions coming, it's usually 1 person sending a week at the moment. I will also try to update this post more often, so if you want news, here is a good place to check.
Edit 3: Expect less videos, school has started and I will have much less free time. Still send in demos though :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:58:04 pm by LegendaryB3ast »

Offline Calcium

• apsolubely ebin :DDDD
Re: Dodgeball Channel on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »
Very nice, I like what you have so far. If I might point some things out though...

I noticed that you used some songs from Monstercat Media. While most labels don't allow use of their tracks on Youtube, Monstercat allows people to apply for usage rights including monetization on videos that use music from them. You do have to fill out a form and be accepted into their list of allowed channels though, so feel free to check that out here.

Also, a much better way to get demo files into a video format besides recording the playback with a screen cap program is to export the frames as still images and then combine them, see http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Help:Recording_demos#Movie_Creation_Tutorial for a full explanation on how to do that.

I do have a few questions for you regarding submissions though... Would you accept video instead of a demo? I tend to record with Fraps or Dxtory since they are what I am used to and they allow me to have greater control over the recorded footage. If yes, what format would you prefer I send the raw footage in? Should I just send the raw capture? Should I edit the footage and encode it as H264? Should I include the audio track as well? If you do want me to include the audio track, should I mux it into a mp4 container with the video, or just send it as a waveform audio file (.wav)? I will send you some footage of DBS game play as soon as I can get an answer to my questions above.

Over all, I wish both you and your channel good luck! I'll make sure to subscribe when I get a chance later.

Offline LegendaryB3ast

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:27:31 am »

"I noticed that you used some songs from Monstercat Media. While most labels don't allow use of their tracks on Youtube, Monstercat allows people to apply for usage rights including monetization on videos that use music from them. You do have to fill out a form and be accepted into their list of allowed channels though, so feel free to check that out here."

I will check out this in regards to Monstercat Music, but I have recently begun to look up music from Jamendo (Royalty Free Music Website), but if I am making a non-weekly video I will look into more details about the music. Thanks for this.

"Also, a much better way to get demo files into a video format besides recording the playback with a screen cap program is to export the frames as still images and then combine them, see http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Help:Recording_demos#Movie_Creation_Tutorial for a full explanation on how to do that."

I've actually been doing that exactly :I

"I do have a few questions for you regarding submissions though... Would you accept video instead of a demo? If yes, what format would you prefer I send the raw footage in? Should I just send the raw capture? Should I edit the footage and encode it as H264? Should I include the audio track as well?"

The reason I ask for demo submissions is because I've grown accustomed to having a default format to the videos (certain resolution, framerate, etc.). I didn't want to bother people because MOST people will not go through all the work needed to set up the correct format. I won't accept videos just due to the fact that sometimes it doesn't work well with my editing program + I prefer the settings to be the same. If you insist on sending me a video and not just a demo, then the only settings I use are resolution at 1280x960 (Normal 4:3), and have all the settings (Model, Texture, etc) at High/Very High. Include audio, and I'll probably make it quieter and add music. You don't really need to edit the video, but as long as it's not a 30-minute gameplay, it should be fine. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll try to check on here more often :)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:43:40 pm by LegendaryB3ast »

Offline LegendaryB3ast

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:34:39 am »
Currently planning on making a new montage, this one with the higher quality used in weekly videos and others, featuring high speeds against the bot. I'm probably gonna get a bunch of different clips on maps that ridiculously high speeds are possible to hit, and I have a list so far to keep track of which clips I have so far:

And here it is, in all its glory:

Faster Than A Bullet

If you want to get a good speed/have hit it already, send it to me the same way as sending the regular demos and I'll add you to the list. This montage is Bot-Only, so doing it PvP (which is harder anyway), unfortunately won't count but will definetly count for the weekly clip  ;). Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:53:51 pm by LegendaryB3ast »

Offline Calcium

• apsolubely ebin :DDDD
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:10:26 pm »
I've actually been doing that exactly :I

Ah ok, one of the videos had a bit where you could see the mouse click on the playback button for the demoui so I kinda just assumed

The reason I ask for demo submissions is because I've grown accustomed to having a default format to the videos (certain resolution, framerate, etc.). I didn't want to bother people because MOST will not go through all the work needed to set up the correct format. I won't accept videos just due to the fact that sometimes it doesn't work well with my editing program + I prefer the settings to be the same. If you insist on sending me a video and not just a demo, then the only settings I use are resolution at 1280x960 (Normal 4:3), and have all the settings (Model, Texture, etc) at High/Very High. Include audio, and I'll probably make it quieter and add music. You don't really need to edit the video, but as long as it's not a 30-minute gameplay, it should be fine. If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll try to check on here more often :)

Sounds good, I usually record a day's worth of game play all at once and then cut it down to the interesting stuff. You said you had a frame rate that you prefer but you didn't state what it was, is 30 FPS okay?

Offline LegendaryB3ast

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »

Sounds good, I usually record a day's worth of game play all at once and then cut it down to the interesting stuff. You said you had a frame rate that you prefer but you didn't state what it was, is 30 FPS okay?

Yep, that's what I use.
*Just some other things that came to mind:
Keep viewmodels off (r_drawviewmodel 0), and unless you hit a high speed or break a record, gameplay footage looks better without the hud (cl_drawhud 0). That's all for now.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:29:24 pm by LegendaryB3ast »

Offline LegendaryB3ast

Airblasting Movies...
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
   Hey guys, to keep this alive and even more active, I am not only encouraging more people to get into dodgeball but also looking for people who want to try editing some videos (add me on Steam if you are actually interested). That news aside, here is the info for the next movie:
   Airblasting & Jump Movie
For dodgeball related things, get a unique or impressive rocket jump that is different from normal ones. Maybe an awesome goomba or just flying across a map from 2 nukes in low gravity... If you happen to also jump, get a friend or 5 and make some cool pyro jumps! This is totally up to you on what jumps you want to do, and I am going to be open-minded on any submissions. Hopefully I can start working on this and expand on it, eventually turning into a neat movie.