Author Topic: Harddrive crash and recovery  (Read 7277 times)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Harddrive crash and recovery
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:42:35 pm »
Just wanted to make an announcement about what happened with our harddrive crash last night.

At roughly midnight last night our host informed us that our primary harddrive on our web and database server had completely failed. Following this, I made an announcement on our Steam group stating that we'd be encountering some downtime.

We had some pretty critical services on that drive (such as the donator database, fastdl), so the downtime had also affected our game servers in an indirect way.

Fast forward to right now: I've been working pretty much around the clock since then to get all of our services back up. So far I've (mostly) restored everything except our MVM server, which was also hosted on that drive.

We kept database backups of everything for exactly this kind of scenario, but unfortunately we had no backups of the actual forums website and the MVM server.

For the forums, I have attempted to the best of my ability to restore everything, but there are some issues that need to be resolved:
  • All user avatars and attachments were lost, so you will need to reupload them through the profile page.
  • Steam profiles are currently missing, but I'll get around to fixing this later.
  • The website themeing may look odd in some places.

Our last issue is our MVM server.

I'm still on the fence about what I want to do here. For one, I'd ideally like to keep non-essential servers off of our web server, which means that (ideally) we would not be bringing back the MVM server. I weigh this decision as a cost-benefit analysis: It will take a considerable effort to recreate the MVM server to the state it was before we lost it.

I know this would make some players unhappy, so I welcome any input on what should be done. If enough people want the MVM server back, I guess I can sit down and find some time to recreate it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:45:12 pm by VoiDeD »

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
Re: Harddrive crash and recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58:10 pm »
i see most of the bugs reported but i keep looking

Offline Toven

• Where's your head at?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:53:23 pm »
A few of the problems mentioned I noticed also.

A play on the MVM a few hours every day or so and it has become like a home to me and we have a good little group that plays nightly lots of regulars and I think it would be a shame to lose it... its one unique server for MVM that I fell in love with instantly upon joining great people.

Edit: I think a lot of us regulars could give a helping hand in getting it to former glory.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:15:09 pm by Toven »

Offline Knucklejoe

• Full Admin
  • Friendly Neighborhood Judo Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:22:59 pm »
I spend most of my time on the MvM server, the DR servers, and the FreakFortress server. Losing the MvM server will just mean that I spend some of my time on another communities' MvM server, preferably one with the 10vM mod.

I vote to try to bring the MvM server back. I know it can't hold as many people as a regular server, but it's fun.

Offline Nurse Pinkamena

• Such pony much wow
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18:39 am »
I didnt go on it that often but it was fun although L4D fortress was the most boring thing in the world if you bring back the server remove that.

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 12:24:28 pm »
I didnt go on it that often but it was fun although L4D fortress was the most boring thing in the world if you bring back the server remove that.

I know ya L6F DeadFortress gets kind of stupid with 10 players especially when you know everywhere to go.  It's only interesting the first time.
Would be challenging if the zombies did regular damage imagine how much more difficult that would be.
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline azerim

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 10:40:15 am »
A shame that the hard drive crashed. While I have been spending a lot of time playing on Saxton Hell's MVM server I can believe that it would take A LOT of work to get it back to what it was. After all over the past couple months you had added several maps and difficulties to that server. If it doesn't come back up I'll be a little bummed out but the other servers associated with this group are fun too :D. Thanks for the servers and keep up the good work!