Author Topic: Internet issues  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Clockwork Rainbowdash

Internet issues
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:37:33 pm »
Ever since Tuesday, February 18th, 2014, my internet has been a little wonky.

The issue arised early in the morning when I deleted a program known as "re-markit" (a malicious software that causes a bunch of ads to appear all over every webpage you visit), which caused my internet to suddenly stop, saying there was an error and that "I should contact the administrator about the proxy settings".(Which I fixed by going into my firefox settings and setting it to not use a proxy)

This is a bit odd to me, because I use a router for internet (Belkin 54g), and this error causes all my programs, most notably my Steam and Java, to be unable to update (or download).

I do know that...

1: It isn't my firewall

2: My internet is working, but something is preventing updates

I have tried...

1: Reseting my router to factory defaults

2: Removing and reseting my router

3: Restarted my computer

4: Reinstalled my antivirus

5: Reinstalling steam (which has now resulted in me being unable to play ANY of my steam games)

Any help is truly welcome, I want to get back to playing Dota 2 or TF2 ASAP.

Offline Baysick

• Ɛ: ʇolɐ ɹp ʎɐld puɐ ʎuoɹq ɐ ɯ,I
Re: Internet issues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
My recommendation is to factory reset your computer not your router (as in whip your entire hard drive clean of any data)... I recommend that you do not make a backup of any files by putting them into a flash drive as this may repeat the effect of the virus over again. If anything it may not be your router but the computer itself. If possible you may want to test your router with a different computer which is a common and effective way of troubleshooting (or try a different router).

How is it you got something like that in the first place?... Be careful when downloading things as they may ask you to install unnecessary things like tool bars and browser hijackers like MyStart.IncrediBar (I'm saying that because I had it once ugh) from setup wizards.

I wish you the best with getting your applications to work again.
$@xt0n H3LL 4 L1f3