Author Topic: Trainsawlaser  (Read 9400 times)

Offline UEAKCrash

Trainsawlaser
« on: June 25, 2013, 06:19:38 pm »
Hey guys, I'm the creator of Trainsawlaser.

I've been working on the next version lately, and it might be a good time to split it for a dedicated VSH version.  I was wondering if there are any changes you guys would like to improve the gameplay for the mode.  I haven't gotten to play it much in VSH, but I know there are some things that could be improved on for it.  For example: I know the cap timer is stupid-short for the mode, any suggestions on what I bump it up to?  How about hazard damage amounts?  Should these change or are they fine how they are?  From what I saw, falling trains seemed to instantly take out Saxton, is this ok?  I could always do something like a team filter that teleports him high up when he gets hit by a train (after taking a good chunk of damage, of course).

Any other feature requests?  Note that I can't cram too much more in hazard wise, I'm starting to push the limits of how many dynamic things I can have going at once.  I'm really just looking to make a version of the map more suited to your game.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:25:36 pm by UEAKCrash »

Offline crab

• literally sweating while trying hard
Re: Trainsawlaser
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »
scrap the map

but really, if the map is symmetrical the teams will sometimes get swapped so you can't really do a team filter

Offline UEAKCrash

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »
I could always make it do a ton of damage and THEN teleport you.  That way, no regular player could survive anyway.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:14:18 pm »
A team filter can work if the map is built for arena and given a vsh_ prefix, if those conditions are met, the saxton hale plugin will always place hale on blue team.

As for hale specific suggestions, players in VSH generally like being able to jump up to high ground as it gives some protection against hale and gives places to put sentry nests.

Other than that, I'm sure other people will also have their $0.02 to throw in.

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:37:41 pm »
open rooftops
obvious clipping so we know "Oh we cant go over there"
its really just having vertical areas , flat VSH maps are the worst IMO.
more demo jumps
I just really love the demo jumps
Having things that fling you in the air is just fun
More fling things

Writing this with little sleep

add spiders because voided hates them

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:01 pm »
:(

Offline B-mage

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52:22 pm »
My 2 cents:
don't try to adapt the current map to fit VSH
Make a new map with VSH in mind
I was going to takew screen shots, add commentary, mark places I felt the map could be improved to work with VSH. But then I realized the map just needs a lot of work to be a great VSH map. If you are up to it I say plan a new map for Hale mode, something you can make a custom spawn for hales and more dangers across a slightly larger map.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:03:57 pm by B-mage »

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »
also tip make sure if hale gets hit by a train he doesnt go under the map

Offline LEON35

• Eat shit :D
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:35:11 pm »
also tip make sure if hale gets hit by a train he doesnt go under the map
^

Offline Lunacy

• DAT RANGE
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 11:07:22 pm »
the horizontal blades near the CP with a small healthpack on their safe center...
heavies will just sit on there with tauntcrits and the bosses will take fucking thousands of damage trying to get up there, even just from trying to poke the heavy they'll take thousands of environmental damage.  I feel it's abused and should do a bit less damage. 
On Hiatus

Primarily running around Zombie Fortress, Freak Fortress, and occasionally Randomizer.

http://youtu.be/C90h1pbF1yY

Offline UEAKCrash

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
Just a heads up, I just updated this to B4, there are a ton of changes.

Full big-ass changelog:
-Over 12 minutes of new voice dialogue added.
-Added sacrifice milestone events. Every 100 kills on the counter will trigger a random event. The KoTH timers pause for these events.
-Choo Choo the Trainshark, Lucy in the Sky With Lasers, and Pastor Kilgore have been crafted to serve as minions of the one true Train God. They can be summoned by amassing a worthy amount of sacrifices.
-Tiny Train Rain™ sacrifice event added.
-Uber Train sacrifice event added.
-Increased the random timer range slightly for the spawn courtyard trains. (Now it's between 10 seconds and 25, before it was 7 to 22.)
-Blocked Red's detail area behind the laser wall.
-Placed building blocking brushes around all hazards to prevent griefing.
-Added detail to the floor of the center area to justify the building blocking brushes also placed over the area. Suck it, Engineers.
-Added front railing to sniper balconies... Also lasers.
-Standardized hazard damage to balance higher-HP game modes (Saxton Hale, etc) Falling trains deal 5000 damage, crossing trains 2500, saws/ normal lasers/ sharks 1000, spawn laser 10000, roof acid does 30 per tick, side pit acid 10 per tick.
-Refined fucks given counter tracking system. This should now be much more accurate.
-Optimized particle usage in spontaneous combustion room.
-Added drop-down under back-and-forth laser, going to the water.
-Widened center laser's arc.
-Tweaked Train Rain™ pathing to prevent it from staying in the sky when inactive. Not sure where this bug came from, but it's theoretically fixed now.
-Further detailing around the map (Let me know if anyone has any framerate issues).
-Bumped up the chance of getting an uber charge from the spawn room uber lasers by 200%.
-3d Skybox added.
-Easter eggs! Look for them, bitch!
-Added random-timed flame bursts next to control point, embedded in the ground. Random time between 30-45 seconds with a 5 second warning pilot light before a 4 second burst of flames that ignites players.
-Added 7 new pumpkin-bombs.
-Started optimization of lightmaps. (Decreases file size so I can cram more crap in)
-Opened a couple roof areas up so you can jump over them. You are pushed off if you try to stand on them, however. Sometimes into saws.
-Raised the minimum and maximum random time range for the center electricty hazard by 15 seconds each.
-Removed a key strike location for the center electricity hazard.
-Slightly widened the player clip on the horizontal saws to make it easier to grab the small health pack.
-Removed moving saws on top of first buildings coming out of spawn. Not worth the cost.
-Passing trains now have slight chance to go backwards.
-Slightly moved two trains of the Train Rain™ to fix a bug where you could be killed in a safe area underwater.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »
We've updated to the new map, but unfortunately it looks like it's causing crashes.

Specifically, the server is reaching the max entity limit and then crashes out due to this.

From the crash dump:
Sys_Error( ED_Alloc: no free edicts )

Edit: Updating to b4fixed, we'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 09:50:24 pm by VoiDeD »

Offline Shae

• Saxton hell's local black gentleman.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 11:00:04 pm »
Just a heads up, I just updated this to B4, there are a ton of changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4KVnXFejiQ

-Added sacrifice milestone events. Every 100 kills on the counter will trigger a random event. The KoTH timers pause for these events.

~Snip~
fix'd youtube link.

This is really awesome. Thanks for all your hard work man! We really enjoy this map.
My only issue with this new updates is the 100 kill count required for certain events to occur. Each map gets about 30 minutes of play time, and with each round lasting from 1-5 minutes each only a few players manage to get killed by the hazard. As hazardous as the map gets. Perhaps you can lower this count? Or perhaps have it count the number of kills hale makes? I'm not sure if the map itself can interact with the game in this manner however.

Can you make/update maps for us more often? We pay mostly in balls of lint and love/affection.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:04:56 pm by Shae »

I prefer a tofu fried chicken substitute.

Offline UEAKCrash

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 05:34:00 pm »
We've updated to the new map, but unfortunately it looks like it's causing crashes.

Specifically, the server is reaching the max entity limit and then crashes out due to this.

From the crash dump:
Edit: Updating to b4fixed, we'll see how that goes.

The updated version should fix the crash issue.  Thanks for updating so fast! :)

This is really awesome. Thanks for all your hard work man! We really enjoy this map.
My only issue with this new updates is the 100 kill count required for certain events to occur. Each map gets about 30 minutes of play time, and with each round lasting from 1-5 minutes each only a few players manage to get killed by the hazard. As hazardous as the map gets. Perhaps you can lower this count? Or perhaps have it count the number of kills hale makes? I'm not sure if the map itself can interact with the game in this manner however.

Can you make/update maps for us more often? We pay mostly in balls of lint and love/affection.

I will admit that the sacrifice milestones weren't intended for VSH, so I'm not sure how to balance that.  I kind of assumed they would be a bit OP in the mode, as it's hard enough to survive both Saxton AND the usual map hazards.

Plus, I wouldn't want it popping up non-stop in the regular game mode, I planned on having it pop for them 1-2 per game, and this just about covers it.  The timer is paused for a maximum of about 2 minutes depending on the event, so a round would never end for them if it was constant.

Sorry it's not more a more VSH specific update, but I tried to throw in a bit more balance for you guys while maintaining the regular map features.

My big regret is not fixing the bug of Saxton getting pushed under the ground.  Something as simple as a big teleport trigger under the map could have fixed it.

Thanks for the feedback though!

I'll look into picking back up the VSH map I started long ago again.  VSH_Cenotaph.

Offline CardboardBox

• Full Admin
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 12:54:38 am »
the horizontal blades near the CP with a small healthpack on their safe center...
heavies will just sit on there with tauntcrits and the bosses will take fucking thousands of damage trying to get up there, even just from trying to poke the heavy they'll take thousands of environmental damage.  I feel it's abused and should do a bit less damage.

Side note to this, it's not really the heavy's fault if a hale can't jump on him, there are plenty of hales who can and do successfully take out the heavies with little damage.

Back to the topic at hand, do something with that space as soon as you leave spawn. It entices you to go on it, but at the same time, laughs at you for not being able to use it. Make it a one-way opening, and it sets up great for a place to defend, or a place to get royally screwed on.