Author Topic: OP Weapons/ suggested weapon changes.  (Read 75105 times)

Offline Chikiro

Banning miniguns
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2013, 05:13:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in hating the minigun of the heavy on prophunt hell.  And there has always been one thing that has confused me: why is the minigun for the heavy not banned?  I understand that in some instances, it takes some skill to use it and not die.  But, ultimately, it becomes a very cheap way to get kills, especially when all the minigun user does is camp the cp.  It gets even worse when someone else on the team becomes an engineer: because then it enables the heavy to camp by the dispenser.  This in itself is completely broken and completely cheap.  Please, i've had enough of the heavy being able to use the minigun.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
Re: Banning miniguns
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:36 pm »
This has been discussed within this thread many times. Reasons as to why it likely won't be removed are in there, big one being that it'd give our server an advantage over GM.

EDIT: Just some quotes from that thread, to give a general idea on the subject. Feel free to look over the entire thread, though.
Spawn camping is pretty lame in general, dunno if I'd say that's OP though because the same gun can be used away from the CP. Adjust your strategy as to when you run for the CP and how: don't just barrel through the middle of the CP to and from.

Can someone explain to me what the issue is with heavies sitting on the CP? What does heavy have to do with it?

I've sat on the CP as a pyro and have flamethrower + flare combo'd tons of props running for health, and no one seems to be complaining about that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:25:18 pm by luvedragon »

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2013, 05:25:02 pm »
This has been discussed within this thread many times. Reasons as to why it likely won't be removed are in there.
Thanks for the link! ^_^ I'm currently reading it through.

btw: this post mostly came about because everyone of the regulars (including me) were getting really mad at someone for using the heavy and his minigun... and he kept doing it to troll us, since we were all mad.  I was just finally tired of it. D:

edit: should i possibly make some suggestions on that thread?

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »
Yes, any weapon change suggestions can go in that thread. I'm just going to go ahead and merge this thread with it. :)

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2013, 05:49:28 pm »
Yes, any weapon change suggestions can go in that thread. I'm just going to go ahead and merge this thread with it. :)
thanks luve! :D

now then, since there is obviously some discussion, ill just make a couple of points here:

1.)I read somewhere about the whole cp camping deal.  I don't think i noticed anybody mention anything about the range.  The difference between pyro cp campers and heavy cp campers is the fact that the heavy's minigun can reach greater distances than the pyro's flamethrower.  When someone is found, it is essentially a death sentence to get anywhere near the minigun's range.  It is hard to even to get to the health packs scattered around when there is a heavy on you.  Whereas the pyro's flamethrower is easier to avoid.  Yes, multiple flamethrows at once will kill you, or even running into one will, but you can still avoid it.  Heavy, that's almost impossible.  It gets even worse when someone makes a dispenser next to cp.  The dispenser allows the heavy to continuously spam the minigun, without much penalty.  Which, in the context of what i said earlier, is extremely cheap. Also: the heavy might take a good amount of damage for using their minigun, but if they are cp camping: there is a good chance the prop that is coming to the cp is already low on health, and thus only takes a couple of shots to kill.  Any somewhat decent heavy should be able to make that kill easily, without much worry of dying from the minigun.

2.)Granted, if the heavy is actually trying to find props, they have to be somewhat good at prophunt to not let themselves die.  However, once someone knows spots: the heavy tends to become completely broken.  The instant they are on you, it takes just a couple of shots, and you're dead. Absolutely nothing can be done about it.  If you manage to run from the spot you were in, the minigun still has the range to kill you from afar.
Edited: and these quick kills have absolutely nothing towards actual weapon skill.

3.) This suggestion is more of a group pleaser than anything.  Someone came onto the server today, and most all of us regulars were ranting and raving about how much we hate people who use the minigun.  The next thing that pissed us off?  The guy who was doing it kept going because he knew it was pissing us off, and he enjoyed making us mad (he actually said this himself).  If the minigun gets taken away, there will be a ton of happy prophunt regulars.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:51:04 pm by Chikiro »

Offline Marshii

Re: OP Weapons/ suggested weapon changes.
« Reply #200 on: May 10, 2013, 09:26:32 pm »
As much as I despise mini-gun users in prop hunt I kind of like having them available. Yeah I get irritated when people can't be bothered to 'try' in prop hunt and use shotguns or miniguns, but in a sense you do get good running practice when a heavy is onto you. In most cases there is a wall/corner near for ducking/dodging if a minigun has your scent. Some heavies do go for melee/shotgun approach though which I rather like seeing because it's rare. The only times I'd say the minigun is truely 'OP' is in the maps with very large open areas like the top floor in CChotel, Most of Swithcheroo, Basalt, Brawl etc. The problem is that when a heavy knows where you are they keep on you at which point it is likely that another hunter will lock onto you as well, which is ok, because that's the game.

But yeah, open areas combined with the minigun 'knock-back' is what I am against since, as I think I may have said before, it stops a prop running 'freely'.

Anyways...yeah. :)

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »
I honestly really like it when i see a heavy to secondary/melee combo. But, the minute i see or hear the minigun. My face goes from :D to D:<

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #202 on: May 11, 2013, 04:06:59 am »
btw: this post mostly came about because every one of the regulars (including me) were getting really mad at someone for using the heavy and his minigun...

Not me. See the quote above.

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2013, 06:58:01 am »
But yeah, open areas combined with the minigun 'knock-back' is what I am against since, as I think I may have said before, it stops a prop running 'freely'.

Air strafing.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2013, 07:07:14 am »
You must teach me this... :P

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:04 am »
Air strafing.

You have to take somewhere between 50-70 damage from the minigun while in the air before you build up enough horizontal momentum to get a non-negligible amount of distance from air strafing. Running away from a heavy is in nearly all cases a bad idea unless you can put some cover between you and him. You're better off jumping over his head and hoping he's a bad pub heavy that can't track.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2013, 03:57:17 am »
May I make a suggestion about the candy cane?
When the last prop alive is using this I think the health pack drop is a little unbalanced considering the that on kill you get full health anyway and any hunters who get near are likely to get blatted to oblivion anyway. So in effect the pack becomes extra health for later and for those who are very good as the last prop, the map becomes like Kakariko with it's health packs everywhere and I find that the extra health bonus is unbalanced. What are your thoughts?

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:16 am »
that is one of the stupidest things i've ever read.
You want a scout that can be against a team of 16 pyros to be NERFED?
what the fuck
also if you're a smart pyro player you can steal the hp packs for yourself
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2013, 08:20:10 am »
this server has reached a whole new level of nerf everything
this is one of the reasons i stopped playing
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Marshii

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:01 am »
Again, contribution level is very close to nothing there eski, drop the trash talk for once in your life.