Author Topic: Nerf Ullapool  (Read 13702 times)

Offline Wizzy

• Donator
  • Acta non verba (actions not words)
Nerf Ullapool
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:48:32 pm »
I am kind of surprised this issue hasn't been brought up, but I will do so now. The demo's with ullapools can easily ruin a map for hale. Some examples I will provide are Missing, where demos can jump up to the top of the walls by the moving platforms, go around the trap, and hit the button on the other side allowing everyone else to go around the trap. Example two is on Factory, demo can ullapool by the sentries and safely jump all the way across them to get to the other side and win, avoiding all 3 of the sentries. Example 3 is on mario, where the demo can ullapool to the top of the platforms at the very end, and just run on top of it all the way across to get to the other side safely.

My suggestion is that the ullapool gets nerfed so that demo's can't jump as high, as removing it will most likely get a huge group of people irritated.
Why am I gay? You should first ask: Why are you straight?

Superbia offerent tibi non animi pacem
(Pride will offer you no peace of mind)

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
Re: Nerf Ullapool
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 06:49:34 pm »
you played on castle map you can jump and skip the blocks that crush you which i love since i know how to make them stop

Offline crab

• literally sweating while trying hard
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »
you forgot about how you can also skip the platforms at the start of mario

removing it will most likely get a huge group of people irritated.
who is this "huge group"
the people that are using it to skip traps?

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:03:04 pm »
Skipping traps is the intended purpose of the caber (ideally it should only allow you to skip one trap), and why we have no plans to remove it. Unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to make the caber to less push force, so I'll instead be checking these specific cases and placing zones as needed.

Offline Shadow wolf

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:05:40 pm »
I like the caber and how it can help the demo but now people are using it the wrong way and they skip 1 to 4 traps with it. How about we dont nerf it and add a hight limmit so you dont glitch out the demo is slow and needs alittle speed

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 07:11:05 pm »
Someone let me know of two exploits with the caber. There's an area on Hereafter that Demos can caber out of the map. It's the Merasmus, has a hole that leads out of the map. Picture

And an area that allows Demos to get into the Hale area on Horrors. Right next to the swing trap. Picture

Offline crab

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
Unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to make the caber to less push force, so I'll instead be checking these specific cases and placing zones as needed.
is it possible to add ceilings, like in forest, that would kill you after going too high?

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:38:36 pm »
I've patched all the areas reported in this thread, except for:
Example two is on Factory, demo can ullapool by the sentries and safely jump all the way across them to get to the other side and win, avoiding all 3 of the sentries.
I'm unable to find a way a demoman can get past the sentries as they'll often aim up and shoot at anyone in the air near them.

Also, feel free to report more trouble areas.

is it possible to add ceilings, like in forest, that would kill you after going too high?
That's what the zones can be (and often are) configured to do.

Offline crab

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58:13 pm »
I'm unable to find a way a demoman can get past the sentries as they'll often aim up and shoot at anyone in the air near them.
it's possible if you can time it right
just wait for the sentry to turn farthest from you and jump behind it

Offline Ultras

• " I Like Trains " - I Like Trains Kid
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:09 pm »
For an example. When you played a map slay, Demos use the Ullapool and hop into the tree. The vagineer (whos kills you if you stay too long) will pass you but DOESNT kill you. Another example is cocainum (one of my favorite maps). During the disappearing platforms, Demos uses the Ullapool to skip the disappearing platforms. Unlike the flare gun, the Ullapool explodes more, which can jump higher than the flare gun. On dust, there are MULTIPLE traps that Demos can Ullapool. Or when Demos can Ullapool at Horrors on the first trap when it was tripped. I do not like the Ullapool. Please NERF IT!

Why are you reading this?

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
For an example. When you played a map slay, Demos use the Ullapool and hop into the tree. The vagineer (whos kills you if you stay too long) will pass you but DOESNT kill you.
A tree on slay? I don't remember any trees...

Another example is cocainum (one of my favorite maps). During the disappearing platforms, Demos uses the Ullapool to skip the disappearing platforms. Unlike the flare gun, the Ullapool explodes more, which can jump higher than the flare gun.
That sounds like expected behavior: using the caber to skip one trap. The caber is one time use while the flaregun is multiple use.

On dust, there are MULTIPLE traps that Demos can Ullapool.
Please be more specific.

Or when Demos can Ullapool at Horrors on the first trap when it was tripped. I do not like the Ullapool. Please NERF IT!
This is also an example of a valid use of the caber.

Offline Ultras

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 05:26:27 pm »
A tree on slay? I don't remember any trees...

When you exit the door, there's a tree on top few miles away. Its attached by a valley.

Please be more specific.

In dust: 1. Demos can Ullapool at the "duck trap" (and so does pyros with flare gun). 2. They can Ullapool at the big explosion trap. I think thats all I can remember but I think there is more Im not really sure. I know 1 trap at the map i forgot whats the name but its where the room closes without the roof and the blue non-controllable heavies perform their "fake gun taunt".

Offline crab

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:27 pm »
Slay is the one with the very narrow catwalk with a deathpit below, and the motivator (thing that comes out to kill people) is a train.

Offline Ultras

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:53:27 pm »
Slay is the one with the very narrow catwalk with a deathpit below, and the motivator (thing that comes out to kill people) is a train.
                                                                                                                                                                                            Now I forgot what map.... :(

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »
In dust: 1. Demos can Ullapool at the "duck trap" (and so does pyros with flare gun). 2. They can Ullapool at the big explosion trap. I think thats all I can remember but I think there is more Im not really sure. I know 1 trap at the map i forgot whats the name but its where the room closes without the roof and the blue non-controllable heavies perform their "fake gun taunt".

You'll have to excuse me as I'm not familiar with what the "duck trap" is, but the rest of these issues sound like they're by design (using the caber to bypass one trap). I'm more interested in knowing areas where demomen can bypass multiple traps, or get outside of the map.