Author Topic: Map Rotation / Map Suggestions  (Read 129421 times)

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
Re: Map Rotation / Map Suggestions
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 06:29:48 pm »
Also while I'm on the subject, the map only has 1 small healthpack and it is literally on the control point, it is like 90% useless lol.  Can we get a few more on the ground or something?

I wish we could just get the editable map files so I can change these myself.

As I stated in another thread, "With Brawl, I think that's okay given the size of map to health pack ratio: it ensures that you can't just outrun everybody on a giant map while constantly replenishing your health." If you had/have access to change maps at will then I fear to think of how the maps would be destroyed. You have to consider that (generally speaking) the hunters aren't going to catch up to a prop unless they have previous kills: this is a huge advantage for props. While I agree that the small health pack by the CP is sorta pointless, it does/can come in handy when you either don't wanna use the CP, or already have used the CP and need another bit of health to heal up or stop burning, etc.

Should Brawl ever be updated (and it shouldn't), I would appreciate a head's up because I do have a suggestion for 2 small health pack additions should the change ever come. Which it shouldn't.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2012, 01:52:09 am »
As I stated in another thread, "With Brawl, I think that's okay given the size of map to health pack ratio: it ensures that you can't just outrun everybody on a giant map while constantly replenishing your health." If you had/have access to change maps at will then I fear to think of how the maps would be destroyed. You have to consider that (generally speaking) the hunters aren't going to catch up to a prop unless they have previous kills: this is a huge advantage for props. While I agree that the small health pack by the CP is sorta pointless, it does/can come in handy when you either don't wanna use the CP, or already have used the CP and need another bit of health to heal up or stop burning, etc.

Should Brawl ever be updated (and it shouldn't), I would appreciate a head's up because I do have a suggestion for 2 small health pack additions should the change ever come. Which it shouldn't.

I would agree with you if it weren't for new players sitting on the control point for most of (if not all of) the map. I can't count the times where I've gotten to the last minute or so without taking damage, get set on fire, run toward the control point, and said to myself "Oh, hey, there's three pyros and an engie sitting on the control point..." Or, "Ow, that demo hit me once after chasing me for 30-40 seconds. Oh, he jumped to the control point and doesn't seem to be moving..."

I think the map needs 1-4 small health packs placed around it. I'd suggest 2, one in the blue building that isn't blue spawn and one under the red building that isn't red spawn or the CP building.

I wish we could just get the editable map files so I can change these myself.

You can, if you go to steam/steamapps/<username>/team fortress 2/tf/maps and can find the .bsp or .bz2 file for the map you want. Then, Google VMEX and run each .bsp file you want through it and it'll spit out a Hammer compatible file.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
You can, if you go to steam/steamapps/<username>/team fortress 2/tf/maps and can find the .bsp or .bz2 file for the map you want. Then, Google VMEX and run each .bsp file you want through it and it'll spit out a Hammer compatible file.

I recommend BSPSource over VMEX. It's a more stable decompiler, and handles more issues that can crop up with VMEX.

That being said, map decompilation is a destructive process: not all entities and brushes can be successfully decompiled, and sometimes maps don't work correctly when recompiled again. But this is generally for entity heavy maps. I remember at some point decompilers couldn't output displacements, but that may be possible these days.

And finally, you guys should (not a requirement, just a recommendation) try to contact the map author first, if possible, to get any changes done. If the map maker is MIA, or is incapable or unwilling to do the changes, then I say it's fair game to do the changes yourselves.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2012, 03:51:41 pm »
"Oh, hey, there's three pyros and an engie sitting on the control point..."

Sounds like they're spending most of their time not hunting props, making the job of outrunning or not even moving much easier. My suggestion for health packs, should there ever be any, are adding two small ones: one on top of red storage bins, and another on the blue ones. Outside, where people can get access to them, and evenly spaced from the cp.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
Sounds like they're spending most of their time not hunting props, making the job of outrunning or not even moving much easier. My suggestion for health packs, should there ever be any, are adding two small ones: one on top of red storage bins, and another on the blue ones. Outside, where people can get access to them, and evenly spaced from the cp.

Even if they were hunting props they aren't the players you'd have to be worried about. The people who would normally catch you (You, Luve, myself, etc.) would still be hunting, it's just that the people sitting on the CP still have (barely) enough hand-eye coordination to point near you and press M1, maybe sometimes accidentally body block you. I'm all for a good chase but when I have to run from someone who's really really good and I have absolutely 100% of possible health sources taken from me, that's... Less than fun.

As for your HP pack suggestions, they're better than mine and I'd like those.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 07:52:53 pm »
For a real change request, there are still 2 incorrect maps on PH MANOR EVENT: the bucket, and urn (which sinks into the ground). Both don't belong on there, however we're missing a giant rug too. Those changes should be implemented asap.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2012, 06:59:13 am »
Meh, it's nice to have a balance of big and small props, there are quite a few spots you can use with the way how the vase goes through the ground, I say keep them both & add the rug.
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:10 am »
Added ph_hanger18_b2 back to the rotation.

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:40 am »
http://www.gamingmasters.org/threads/ph_hanger18.6655/
Was taken off of GM for some reason, not entirely sure why. Might tell combatfetus about these forums soon, so he knows where to post his headquarters fix and other things.
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
The only issue that was mentioned to me was the outside area, where the top edges of the map aren't playerclipped very well. I played the map a little and it seemed fine to me that those areas are open, cause hunters can still reach those locations.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »
If I remember, the issue was that the map was GIGANTIC. I think people in that thread bring that point up too. Combatfetus typically makes huge maps (think Cargo). There will likely be a lot of RTVing and/or quitting til the map is over, then rejoining.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
We can do the same thing we did with medieval and increase the timelimit to give the hunters a better chance of finding props.

Offline combatfetus

« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:52 pm »
If I remember, the issue was that the map was GIGANTIC. I think people in that thread bring that point up too. Combatfetus typically makes huge maps (think Cargo). There will likely be a lot of RTVing and/or quitting til the map is over, then rejoining.
hah yeah, I remember worrying that it might be a bit too big. I'll make the outside a lot smaller and reupload sometime soon.

glad to see you guys like cargo though! I remember back when AO had a server it wasn't too popular

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:01 pm »
I remember back when AO had a server it wasn't too popular

Well...
Anyway, good to see you around Fetus.

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »
Well...