Author Topic: Raffle warning  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Mikeyboy

Raffle warning
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:38:22 pm »
This guy came onto the server today offering a raffle for a level 100 Team Captain hat. He has previously "raffled" the hat off on the Trading Hell to a account that was just made the same day. He has done this two times before and it seems like he has scammed quite a few people making a hefty profit. If you ever come across this guy with his fake raffles, then do not participate. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope it helps.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197981313135
This is his steam account.

Offline Mr. Popo

• Stare into my soul
Re: Raffle warning
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:10:02 am »
Personally, I think no one should even attempt to enter a raffle that isn't backed by a legitimate raffling site or isn't a free buy-in. The mentioning of raffling in a trade server is way too suspicious, along with spy crabbing. There are just too many untrustworthy people out there and people fall for them.

Mikey forgot to add: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198078672522

This guy was the one who won the raffle, he looks like an alt (Considering they both have Christmas Swag in their name) His inventory is open to show he received the Level 100 TC (which is what was being raffled), but I suspect it's just an alt who "won".

If anyone would like to add, feel free.

Offline Mikeyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »
May have found another raffle scammer.  "ShadowFox"  STEAM_0:0:48172408  has been asking for 1 ref or 1 key, 1 ref = 1 entry and 1 key = 4, entries to get a nuts and bolts Scotsman Stove Pipe. I don't know if it is or not, but his method of picking the winner is from drawing papers from a hat. It seems very likely that he is a scammer and if anything else pops up, I will update this topic.

Also, here is his backpack.
http://backpack.tf/id/76561198056610544

Offline Ghost PGD

• Sydney Sleeper Sniper. Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »
Moral of the story: Don't enter pay-to-enter raffles.

Offline Mikeyboy

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:08:51 pm »
I didn't enter. Also an update, he ran off with the keys and metal, please ban the punk.

Offline Windy

• Full Admin
  • HOT DOG!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 11:37:38 pm »
True moral of story : don't be a moron.
Seriously, how hard is it to rub two brain cells together and actually make a coherent thought?
Also, any raffle asking for any kind of payment (maybe things under a scrap could be in exception) are most likely scams because chances are that the owner is making a profit regardless if you win the item.
If you're going to report someone, make sure to follow these steps!
  • Record a demo.
  • Get the person's steamid.
  • Add an Admin and annoy him/her about it.
  • Click your heels and yell out "Ding Dong Bannu!"This probably won't work, though.
Don't like a map? Use the !maprate command to give it a bad rating, and then maybe Voided will take it off the rotation. Maybe.

Dislike saysounds? Use !sounds to disable them!

Don't enjoy tf2? I don't have a solution for that. :(

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »
There's nothing we can do without any proof that people were legitimately scammed outside of hearsay reports of it.

Offline Mikeyboy

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 07:43:39 am »
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but the same guy has joined the server again with his raffle scam, he got shot down right away by a donator/moderator, but here is his new steam  http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017947994
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:54:51 am by Mikeyboy »

Offline Knucklejoe

• Full Admin
  • Friendly Neighborhood Judo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:18:14 am »
Sorry for reviving a dead thread but the same guy has joined the server again with his raffle scam, he got shot down right away by a donator/moderator, but here is his new steam  http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198017947994
Currently marked as clean on SteamRep. Unless you have proof that he took stuff and ran without giving away what he was supposed to, not much we can do. Video or even photos are necessary to ban someone.

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:20 pm »
True moral of story : don't be a moron.
Seriously, how hard is it to rub two brain cells together and actually make a coherent thought?
Also, any raffle asking for any kind of payment (maybe things under a scrap could be in exception) are most likely scams because chances are that the owner is making a profit regardless if you win the item.
profit =/= scam
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.