Author Topic: The rate of complaining is just too damn high  (Read 10464 times)

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
The rate of complaining is just too damn high
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »
Holy shit. In the 4 weeks I was gone this server has turned into a giant crib because everybody is crying! Suddenly every weapon should be banned, I'm hearing everybody demand to not play soldier and not have heavies use miniguns.

Seriously this demand that so many weapons be destroyed, banned, nerfed, fucked with, needs to just stop.

At least the actual execution to these treatments. I think the average player has been getting way the fuck carried away with demands being met. The initial mission of banning weapons is that they were instakill weapons, like the Cow Manger. That's it! That's all the mods at GM intended to do. Sure, if a weapon is 2-shot, it probably should be nerfed. But really, what the fuck else will be left other than a worthless 2dmg weapon or just the flamethrower and melees?

The mod should dictate the skills, not the other way around. If you're a noob who is getting wasted by a minigun or flaregun (for that matter, which is instakill if the player is already lit), then its time to keep practicing and learn to get better. NOT to immediately cry and demand the weapon is banned or horribly reduced in damage.

I know I'm not the only one who believes this, though I'm probably the most vocal. All these complaints are coming from users that I've never seen before, and who i don't think carry a lot of merit. And before some lil shit says something, this isn't complaining: its just tha truf.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Re: The rate of complaining is just too damn high
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »
For what it's worth, I haven't gone through with any of the suggestions other than the damage reduction on the reserve shooter.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:52:20 pm »
Good. I knew there was a reason I loved you. Other than dat big dik.

Offline Miaumon

• Full Admin
  • I'm a QR code suck it
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »

Big Diks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:18:38 pm by Miaumon »

Offline 9mmpainpill

• Donator
  • On a THC powered rocket ship to the moon.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:37:29 pm »

Offline Hoodie

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
You were gone for 4 weeks? Huh.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:13 pm »
What I try and do is make the mod more accessible for entry level players and those new to the mod. The main problem with things like the heavies with miniguns is not so much the gun (apart from preventing players moving properly) but the players themselves who have a high tendency to just sit on CP. To me, these are the people I see as noobs however the level of complaints is growing. I think now the reserve shooter is fine but as I said, my only gripe with any weapon would be if it stopped props being able to move freely, therefore to me, damage is not an issue.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:24:45 pm »
What I try and do is make the mod more accessible for entry level players and those new to the mod. The main problem with things like the heavies with miniguns is not so much the gun (apart from preventing players moving properly) but the players themselves who have a high tendency to just sit on CP. To me, these are the people I see as noobs however the level of complaints is growing. I think now the reserve shooter is fine but as I said, my only gripe with any weapon would be if it stopped props being able to move freely, therefore to me, damage is not an issue.

Fix people sitting on the CP, engies blocking off the CP with buildings, and teach people that running away from all blues is good, and the mod becomes 100% more accessible to new players.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:28:27 am »
That's a great idea Shooter (CP camping and Dispencers) but again, it doesn't make it more accessible for new players to the mod - it's easier said than done to just adjust to a new mod, it simply makes the mod more balanced.

Back to complaining about weapons though, in my eyes damage is not an issue, but anything which prevents running i.e. minigun knock back does imbalance the game as it is far too easy for heavies to stroll around with the minigun rolling ready to fire and then block a fleeing prop. Shotguns and flares do this slightly but their fire-rate is so low that it doesn't have a great impact.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:12:23 pm »
Sometimes that knockback helps you though. If I'm being chased and get hit from a shotgun, that knockback will often save my life by giving me the distance boost I need. The reason flares don't have as much knockback is because if you're already torched then its instakill.

Offline Permony

• Bambina~
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »
I'll admit that I used to be in the school of "OMFG SHITGUN/MINIGUN BAD" way of thinking. But once you become more adept at the mod, it becomes gradually easier to avoid getting killed by them. A helpful thing everyone should remember is that both the minigun and shotgun do less damage the farther away you are. So, surprisingly, I actually agree with box. Play more and  improve. (I probably sound really redundant...oh well.)

Offline Marshii

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »
There I agree also - they're easily overcome as I have found many times; shotguns and miniguns do not bother me anymore like you Permony, unless I'm irritated by something unrelated to prophunt or if my internet is killing me like it is at the moment at which point it just becomes another 'niggle' in the big picture as it were.

However (going back to new players) I know that when I started playing the mod I had next to no experience of playing scout so getting used to the double jump, move speed and lower health was enough without having to worry too much about how different classes affect scout.
This goes back to my point about making the mod accessible for new players. Knockback more often than not sees you stuck in a corner and as a new player not necessarily so adept at running it is practically impossible to escape - anything that makes it easier for new players to become accustomed to the mod I am in favor of.

-Didn't realise even after 2 years of playing tf2 that minigun damage decreases with distance - I guess thats because of getting hit less frequently (fun fact)-

Offline MisterSunshine

• Crazy Old Prophunt Guy
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »
Yeah, biggest complaint of this thread is box's.

Offline Hoodie

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »
Yeah, biggest complaint of this thread is box's.

Offline MisterSunshine

• Crazy Old Prophunt Guy
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »
Additionally, a lot of the regulars I play with complain about the heavy and his myriad of miniguns. I particularly don't like the huo long, as it projects fire.

You say "get better" I say "where's the fun in that?"