Author Topic: Files for any of the servers downloading EXTREMELY slow  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Morbuzka

Files for any of the servers downloading EXTREMELY slow
« on: March 16, 2014, 12:16:51 am »
Hello,

I just built a new computer, and with a new computer comes a new hard drive, for the most part. I go into TF2 and see the Saxton Hell servers are still there. Awesome, I enter and of course, I have to download all of those cool vanity files that come with the servers. "Oh, this'll be easy, 25Mbps dedicated to downloading a bunch of tiny files, I'll be hunting props in no time"

That's about the opposite of what happened. I start downloading and see the each file is downloading EXTREMELY slow, like on the order of a couple minutes per file, and it can take like 10 to 20 minutes for one rectangle to appear on the loading bars. Considering how many files there are, it seems as if it's going to take hours, maybe even a day to download all of the files and get into the server. I'm just trying to figure out why it would take so long to download these files. I really just want to get back to playing on these servers again, it's been so long.

Thanks.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Re: Files for any of the servers downloading EXTREMELY slow
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:36 am »
There's a couple things that could potentially be at play here. Our fastdl server only has about 100mbps of bandwidth, and upon map change or any new players joining, there will often be multiple people which need to download new content, so that 100mbit will be divided equally among players.

That said, it sounds odd that it would take 10 to 20 minutes just for a single indication of progress.

What speed do you average on this test file? http://fastdl.saxtonhell.com/maps/vsh_dr_time_travel_b3.bsp.bz2

Offline Morbuzka

Re: Files for any of the servers downloading EXTREMELY slow
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:28 am »
It took me about 3 minutes to download that file, including a large pause in downloading I experienced. I'll restart my modem and computer, but it doesn't make sense. I can play games perfectly, and my download speed is usually awesome, but I don't understand why it'll take a day to download those files.