Poll

Should ghostmode be removed from the prophunt server?

No, I like flying around as a ghost.
4 (13.8%)
Yes, it should be removed.
25 (86.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Ghostmode, should we get rid of it?  (Read 7239 times)

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Ghostmode, should we get rid of it?
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »
Vote here!

If you're unfamiliar with what ghostmode is, it's a plugin we run on all our other arena based servers (vsh, dodgeball, etc) that turns you into a ghost when you die so that you have something to do while dead.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:18:21 pm by VoiDeD »

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
Re: Ghostmode, should we get rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:21:53 pm »
Also it should be noted that there's a current bug with ghostmode where you can't disable it. It's not our intention to force ghostmode to be enabled for everyone.

This can't be fixed until a server restart tonight.

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 08:30:34 pm »
my two cents:

Even if certain bugs are fixed (i.e. teleporting to props, the always on ghostmode thing) it still is a mess to have it on this type of gamemode.  It adds an extra possible dimension to ghosting.  I understand that mostly "new players" ghost, but it will help make ghosting more prevalent, especially since ghostmode is automatically on when you enter for the first time.  Ever think of certain ghosts "crowding" a prop?  That makes for another dead giveaway for a blu ghost.

Plus.... i don't like seeing all the ghosts running around the map while I'm dead, ruins my hiding immersion.

Offline Cant think of a name

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:17 pm »
To add to what Chikiro said, you can also spray your spray as a ghost. The sound of that may alert pyros to the prop's location.

Although it is fun to spook pyros/follow them around spraying behind them...

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »
To add to what Chikiro said, you can also spray your spray as a ghost. The sound of that may alert pyros to the prop's location.

Although it is fun to spook pyros/follow them around spraying behind them...

All actions of a ghost are only visible to other ghosts, including sprays.

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
yes, visible.... but he wasn't talking about vision, he was talking about sound.  Not exactly the same thing.

Offline Cant think of a name

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
I know I've confused an engineer by making spray sounds behind him, I'm not sure if he saw the spray but he definitely heard it.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:47:58 pm »
yes, visible.... but he wasn't talking about vision, he was talking about sound.  Not exactly the same thing.

Sounds as well. Players can't actually use their sprays when dead, the ghostmode plugin emulates the behavior by displaying the spray and playing the sound manually, and only to ghosts or dead players.

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:51:23 pm »
Oh boy on topic reply:

Why not just make it to where whenever someone is a ghost, their hud does not show the name of a teammate? This way they won't be able to tell if the prop is a person or not?

Off topic:

How about we just make it to where whenever someone is dead, their screen goes black and they can't talk over mic or in chat? This way we NEVER have to ever worry about ghosting. :D

Offline Chikiro

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:52 pm »
Off topic:

How about we just make it to where whenever someone is dead, their screen goes black and they can't talk over mic or in chat? This way we NEVER have to ever worry about ghosting. :D
sadly, I would much prefer this to the ghosts..... I'm not kidding, i hate the ghosts for this mode that much.

Offline Ghost PGD

• Sydney Sleeper Sniper. Deal with it.
voidy is racist to ghosts
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »
stahp being racist to ghost plz, voidy plz :'(

But for serious, I don't care whether it's on or off, because: 1, I'm still the one true ghost. 2, I don't care. And 3, real players don't care about ghosting.

Offline BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBoBo

• Venus Power
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 09:17:31 pm »
i always hated ghost mode when ever gentlemen hale was on everyone who had ghostmode who knew about his rage turned it off its so annoying to be on a spot like mann co and a ghost just sits in you and boos to knock u off the edge

Offline mongolian-bbq

Re: voidy is racist to ghosts
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 11:48:19 pm »
3, real players don't care about ghosting.

Pretty sure they're the ones who do care.

But yeah, I don't think it's necessary to have ghostmode on PH. It does introduce the ghosting element since ghosts can pass through their teammates but not their enemies, i.e. if someone is hiding as a bush their position could be revealed by a blu ghost walking around checking the bushes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 11:49:53 pm by mongolian-bbq »

Offline Marshii

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:53 am »
I think that ghostmode isn't the best idea for prophunt. As Glace said if you could make it so that you could pass through friend/foe still in the game and not show their name then I think it'll work. In that event only regs will be flying around and maybe staying at a prop for a second or two while they consider how the heck they are still alive.
I don't really get effected by ghosting TOO much in ph, and it only really annoys me when I know the spot should only really be know by regs and then I get spectated by a randomer and an even more random randomer flys up out of nowhere; spot ruined. Though points/rank don't matter.

InB4 Box says 'If it aint broke, don't ix it'

Honestly though I think in it's current state it's a NO from me, with some tweaks etc then possibly yes (noclip/no collisions/no sprays/not seeing ghosts of the other team etc) then I think it might be workable.

On another note though which is kinda related to this since ghostmode has brought up a hullabaloo about ghosting etc, why do I feel as though the admins care more about banning/punishing/on the lookout for those being friendly rather than those ghosting? A rethink is needed.
That is all.

---Marshii

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:39 am »
voidy confirmed big dumb dummy  8) 8) 8) :-* :-*
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)