Author Topic: PropHunt 2.09 to 2.10 - What are the changes?  (Read 17479 times)

Offline Powerlord

Re: PropHunt 2.09 to 2.10 - What are the changes?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:08 pm »
I'd forgotten about this thread until someone sent me a PM about it on AlliedModders.

Yeah that fix fukt up a lotta good props and creative hiding places.

That first thing ruined a lot of good spots.

I think it says a lot about this community's players that you prefer playing the game with buggy props.

When Geit messaged me the other day and told me to take what people were saying with a grain of salt, I thought he was talking about the PropHunt suggestions thread over on GamingMasters...

Prophunt was fine for 5 years without the timer being different. Never noticed prop names being wrong.

The timer change was done for two reasons:

1. To get the first 30 seconds of the round to show up as Setup time.  While you may have been playing Prop Hunt for 5 years, not everyone has and being frozen in place for 30 seconds for no apparent reason when playing on BLU was bound to confuse newcomers.
2. To push the game logic into a team_round_timer, which is what the game uses for its round timers.  Prop Hunt faked it by adjusting certain server cvars and having its own SourceMod timer that ended the round one second before the actual arena round timer ended it.

So yes, there was already a team_round_timer, I was just moving all the logic I could to it instead of having dual timers which ended the round before the displayed timer said it should have ended.

As for prop names, not only were a lot of props missing names, but it had no way of distinguishing between props from different sets (i.e. props_farm and props_forest), so it'd give you the wrong name for one of the two.

If you had bothered to get the Milkman/Attendant set then why shouldn't you be able to use it? Could you list those weps?

I find it funny that you're complaining about something that server owners could disable by either not having TF2Attributes installed or just by setting ph_stripsetbonuses 0.

Lets face it, the Milkman's +25 health was just cheesy... and had no downside in Prop Hunt. I know I abused the hell out of it until my friends caught on that I had more health than they did.  So yes, that was added based directly on my own community's feedback.  For that matter, so was fixing the prop offsets.

As for the Attendent set bonus being removed... it didn't work because Prop Hunt already overrides player speed.  That's why the Powerjack doesn't speed you up when you have it out.

Oh and you forgot to mention buffing frontier justice to 87 damage.

I've actually changed that in the latest version of Prop Hunt simply by removing the Frontier Justice altogether.

Why don't you fix the props not getting a kill when a pyro dies to self-damage?
Because I don't know how to easily fix it.  SDKHooks is what's actually dealing the damage to the player and it appears to override the server's normal idea of recent damage sources.

In theory I could fake it by tracking damage done, but it seems like a lot of work for something that isn't all that common.

You do realize Powerlord isn't the original maker of the mod, correct? So, technically speaking, he also took the original code and changed it to what he sees fit.

Since I've talked with DarkImmortal and Geit, and their own server is running my version I have implicit permission from them to continue it.  Heck, DarkImmortal even gave me the stats inc files and Geit even suggested I try my hand at rewriting it to make some improvements.  At some point, I may even write a stats system that servers can run instead of being connected to the global stats servers.

As Box and Eskimo pointed out, some changes (that have or have not been implemented), well, perhaps shouldn't have been changed from the original code. 2.09 strips Bonk, which I think is absolutely insane, but whatever

Actually, removing Bonk doesn't work in 2.09 because Prop Hunt doesn't remove items from Scouts when it regenerates them when they're the last prop... but the new, more advanced weapon system can.

Having said that, this is another thing that I did based on my own community's feedback.  Specifically, players on my server were getting pissed that the last prop could get 8 seconds of time that they couldn't be hurt.  I've actually seen matches that the hunters lost simply because the last prop used Bonk.  In a game mode that already favors the props by a wide margin.

I'd be interested to see what DarkImmortal, Powerlord etal's opinions of Saxton Hell's changes are and of the server in general. Maybe that might be a better starting place rather than here. Think of this analogy; bad / offensive service in a store checkout; do you make a scene at the checkout, or do you contact the manager?

The last time I played on Saxton Hell (when it was running 2.05) it played almost identically to 1.93.  I've already had this discussion with VoiDeD on AlliedModders.

Which is why I chimed in on this thread in the first place a few weeks ago.

Oh, and it shouldn't surprise you that I've been making additional changes to Prop Hunt.

Wow, I have almost forgotten about this.
Powerlord, you are doing an amazing job so far. But honestly, I would not stand for such disrespectfulness from other admins and their communities who steal your code, hate your (good) changes, and use you for their advantage when it comes to their privatized plugins.
You seem like a very gifted guy in that department and I would love to see your work acknowledged and respected, but I'm afraid that's not possible with this very specific plugin. It would be stupid to keep up with this dickheads and see your potential and time go to waste.
If I were you I wouldn't make myself their puppet and indirectly support them.
Give it some time and they will run out of ideas and ruin their prophunt servers and then you can pick it up again under different circumstances and present your refresh of this.

I started fixing Prop Hunt for my own community and shared my changes back to the community.  This is how pretty much all my plugins work.

Having said that, I'm about to abandon the public version of Freak Fortress 2.  My community doesn't like FF2 and the public version is slowly circling the drain... no one else who is currently making changes to it is releasing those changes to the public.  I'm also growing tired of the constant in-fighting over on AlliedMods about it.

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 12:17:15 am »
Having said that, this is another thing that I did based on my own community's feedback.

The answer to every unnecessary change made ever.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:15 am »
That's why the Powerjack doesn't speed you up when you have it out.

I've actually changed that in the latest version of Prop Hunt simply by removing the Frontier Justice altogether.

Actually, removing Bonk doesn't work in 2.09 because Prop Hunt doesn't remove items from Scouts when it regenerates them when they're the last prop... but the new, more advanced weapon system can.

Having said that, this is another thing that I did based on my own community's feedback.  Specifically, players on my server were getting pissed that the last prop could get 8 seconds of time that they couldn't be hurt.  I've actually seen matches that the hunters lost simply because the last prop used Bonk.  In a game mode that already favors the props by a wide margin.

Have you seriously only played 40 minutes on ranked servers? You realise opinions can differ throughout servers?

The Powerjack actually DOES speed you up when you take it out.

Why are you removing frontier justice? It's completely uneccessary. The ranked 2 prophunt player pretty much uses it solely, and would be pretty pissed if he couldn't use it anymore.

Bonk doesn't need to be removed. If you're able to get last prop, you should be able to use your items. That's the point.

Maybe you should look at the feedback and opinions of OTHER servers, instead of your own, especially if you're making the mod public.
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Powerlord

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 09:40:29 am »
The answer to every unnecessary change made ever.

Fine, tell VoiDeD not to use my changes then.  It's not like I pulled out a gun and said USE THESE CHANGES OR ELSE to him.

Have you seriously only played 40 minutes on ranked servers? You realise opinions can differ throughout servers?

Non-ranked servers outweigh ranked servers by a wide margin.  I don't go looking for ranked servers when I go to play Prop Hunt.

A lot of these changes are based on my experiences on both my own server and other servers.  While I was using my own server as an example, it's not the only one I took into account.

The Powerjack actually DOES speed you up when you take it out.
If it does, it's not to a notable extent and certainly not as much as normal.  Last time I tried it, I couldn't actually see a speed difference, and I've never actually changed the code related to speed.

Why are you removing frontier justice? It's completely uneccessary. The ranked 2 prophunt player pretty much uses it solely, and would be pretty pissed if he couldn't use it anymore.

I was actually simplifying what I did... which was to replace the Frontier Justice with the stock Shotgun.  Because I can do that now.

Having said that, weapons in prop hunt have always been controlled by a config file and servers can easily adjust them without even having to recompile the plugin.  There's no requirement even on stat tracked server that you use the default configuration.  Hell, I didn't even write the majority of the current one: Tainted, KiRRa, and Unlucky Duck did that... including the restriction blocking all the miniguns.

Bonk doesn't need to be removed. If you're able to get last prop, you should be able to use your items. That's the point.
The point is that you have your weapons.  Bonk is just pure cheese.  Then again, server owners can just leave it enabled if they want.  That's the beauty of having these controlled by a configuration file.

Maybe you should look at the feedback and opinions of OTHER servers, instead of your own, especially if you're making the mod public.

Actually, my community isn't the only one I consulted, but whatever.  I'm also going to note that I'm making these changes because no one else was willing to step up to the plate and fix some of the issues Prop Hunt has.  I gain nothing by doing this. And servers don't have to use my changes.

VoiDeD could continue to use a modified version of 1.93 with all the props stuck in the floor... but I'm going to point out that he didn't.  And in a sense, servers using my changes gives me the clout to continue making changes, a power I wouldn't have had if everyone had ignored it in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:08:19 pm by Powerlord »

Offline unlucky ducky

• 酷いかも
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 12:54:12 pm »
Fine, tell VoiDeD not to use my changes then.  It's not like I pulled out a gun and said USE THESE CHANGES OR ELSE to him.

Having said that, weapons in prop hunt have always been controlled by a config file and servers can easily adjust them without even having to recompile the plugin.  There's no requirement even on stat tracked server that you use the default configuration.
Indeed, we at GFL are currently looking into your new updates to see if we can make it fit our community's needs but until we've configured it to behave the way we want it to we're planning to stick to our slightly older 1.93 version. Some of the newer features I think sounds absolutely lovely and some I disagree with, but regardless of that I think it's really nice that someone is actually taking the time to work on Prophunt.

Lucky Duck
Lucky? What an insult!

;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:15:22 pm by unlucky ducky »