Author Topic: PropHunt 2.09 to 2.10 - What are the changes?  (Read 17481 times)

Offline Unknown Haxor

PropHunt 2.09 to 2.10 - What are the changes?
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »
Hello guys!
I have recently discovered PropHunt for me, yet I am unsure to which server I should stick. I have discovered that Saxton Hell's server has PropHunt 2.10 running. Can anyone list the changes made from 2.09? Is it better?

Thanks in advance
your hopefully new community member

Offline BLAKUboy

Re: PropHunt 2.09 to 2.10 - What are the changes?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Whatever Voidy feels like changing. >_>
I am totally the prettiest girl on the Prop Hunt server.
#PrettiestGirl2013 #SoTryhard

Offline Unknown Haxor

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »
So I have looked around a bit and found out that PropHunt is currently maintained by this guy https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1972290#post1972290
Actually this means that this is not an official release and therefore should not have a version increase but instead a tag. Also there is no changelog of what voided does? Should the player simply "trust" in the number of the plugin's version? Isn't that kind of dishonest in a way, and in another because you could simple just change the version number, right? Is that possible and/or the case?

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »
This is the first case I've heard of any normal player actually paying any attention to version numbers of a mod. :P

Honestly, if something like that bugs you that much, you're likely better off just not playing on this server. Yes, there are changes that are different from "official" prophunt versions, but there are other servers with such changes, too. Off the top of my head, SourceOP has a fairly different version running. If you want the most official prophunt you can get, GM is the place to be.

Offline Unknown Haxor

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:08 pm »
It is not bugging me or anything, I am just wondering what actually changed, because there are so many different versions yet I could barely make out any changes. In this case even none.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
This is the first case I've heard of any normal player actually paying any attention to version numbers of a mod. :P

Honestly, if something like that bugs you that much, you're likely better off just not playing on this server. Yes, there are changes that are different from "official" prophunt versions, but there are other servers with such changes, too. Off the top of my head, SourceOP has a fairly different version running. If you want the most official prophunt you can get, GM is the place to be.

For what it's worth, SourceOP's prop hunt mod is a from-the-ground LUA rewrite of GM's prop hunt config from three years ago. It hasn't been updated as GM's has and in that sense is more original than the one we have here and even GM's itself as I don't think Dark maintains it anymore.

It is not bugging me or anything, I am just wondering what actually changed, because there are so many different versions yet I could barely make out any changes. In this case even none.

The version number changes every time ANYTHING is changed, such as banning new botkiller weapons or changing weapon damage around. Off the top of my head, the changes between this version and the one GM runs on are Reserve Shooter damage changed from 80% or 100% (depending on server) to either 25% or 50%, heavies taking damage on spin-up instead of shooting, crusader's crossbow unlocked with no healing effect on allies.

Keep in mind that I've played maybe 5 or 6 times in the past 5 or 6 months so I might have missed something.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:50:05 am »
the number looks cooler
also, GM actually just takes it from alliedmodders because Dark is busy, and nobody who actually made it works on it anymore. just people who think they're making it better
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Powerlord

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »
Hello guys!
I have recently discovered PropHunt for me, yet I am unsure to which server I should stick. I have discovered that Saxton Hell's server has PropHunt 2.10 running. Can anyone list the changes made from 2.09? Is it better?

Thanks in advance
your hopefully new community member

Last I checked, the Saxton Hell version didn't even resemble the version on AlliedModders anyway.

the number looks cooler
also, GM actually just takes it from alliedmodders because Dark is busy, and nobody who actually made it works on it anymore. just people who think they're making it better

Yup, clearly I only "think" I'm improving prop hunt by making it so that props don't stick into the floor.  And push the round timer off to the game and change the first 30 seconds to setup time. And have correct prop names when displayed to users. And remove set bonuses to prevent players from cheesing.  And now I'm working on a new weapon restriction systems to fix weapons that clearly don't work in the game mode.

And yes, there have been bugs from time to time, such as ph_devils_canyon_a1 not having a named control point master and ph_kakariko_b1 having an extra round timer because the person who converted it from a cp map forgot to remove it.  Which is my fault for assuming that prop hunt maps would, you know, be standard arena maps.

But hey, lets hear what things you've done to make prop hunt better!

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »
Yup, clearly I only "think" I'm improving prop hunt by making it so that props don't stick into the floor.

Yeah that fix fukt up a lotta good props and creative hiding places.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51:16 am »
Last I checked, the Saxton Hell version didn't even resemble the version on AlliedModders anyway.

Yup, clearly I only "think" I'm improving prop hunt by making it so that props don't stick into the floor.  And push the round timer off to the game and change the first 30 seconds to setup time. And have correct prop names when displayed to users. And remove set bonuses to prevent players from cheesing.  And now I'm working on a new weapon restriction systems to fix weapons that clearly don't work in the game mode.
That first thing ruined a lot of good spots. Prophunt was fine for 5 years without the timer being different. Never noticed prop names being wrong. If you had bothered to get the Milkman/Attendant set then why shouldn't you be able to use it? Could you list those weps?
Oh and you forgot to mention buffing frontier justice to 87 damage.
Why don't you fix the props not getting a kill when a pyro dies to self-damage?
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Unknown Haxor

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 10:27:21 am »
Wow, I have almost forgotten about this.
Powerlord, you are doing an amazing job so far. But honestly, I would not stand for such disrespectfulness from other admins and their communities who steal your code, hate your (good) changes, and use you for their advantage when it comes to their privatized plugins.
You seem like a very gifted guy in that department and I would love to see your work acknowledged and respected, but I'm afraid that's not possible with this very specific plugin. It would be stupid to keep up with this dickheads and see your potential and time go to waste.
If I were you I wouldn't make myself their puppet and indirectly support them.
Give it some time and they will run out of ideas and ruin their prophunt servers and then you can pick it up again under different circumstances and present your refresh of this.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »
You do realize Powerlord isn't the original maker of the mod, correct? So, technically speaking, he also took the original code and changed it to what he sees fit.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:21:30 pm by luvedragon »

Offline Unknown Haxor

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:19:05 am »
I think you do not understand my posting because he is making his changes public and has other motives in mind.

Offline Luvedragon

• Full Admin
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:44 am »
You don't have to play here, you know. It's just as easy to go find a prophunt server with the "pure" code, rather than stick around here and complain about some minor changes.

As Box and Eskimo pointed out, some changes (that have or have not been implemented), well, perhaps shouldn't have been changed from the original code. 2.09 strips Bonk, which I think is absolutely insane, but whatever Prophunt has had the same thing going for as long as it did, and while improvement is certainly welcome, perhaps it would be best to also try and stick with what the original coder had in mind, or even ask those players who have been playing since the mod came out, or at least know what they're talking about, what they believe could be improved upon.

And, if you make your changes public, one should expect them to be changed within a community or be lashed against. Unless it is made private and says that no changes are allowed, then we're free to make these changes within our community. Again, if anyone has any problems with how this server is run, please, do yourself a favor and find another prophunt server.

Offline Unknown Haxor

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:44:28 am »
[...]And, if you make your changes public, one should expect them to be changed within a community or be lashed against. Unless it is made private and says that no changes are allowed[...]

Someone's expectations don't justify anything and tbh the sourcemod license those plugins are being released under has a few words to say about this.