Author Topic: Rank Removal  (Read 23857 times)

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
Re: Rank Removal
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:33 am »
please don't turn into another SourceOP
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »
please don't turn into another SourceOP

What's wrong with their rank system?

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
What's wrong with their rank system?

it's not the one we have

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »

it's not the one we have

Exactly, the one we have sucks. That's what this thread is trying to determine.

Offline BLAKUboy

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »
The one we have is fine. Outside of constantly going down because GM.
I am totally the prettiest girl on the Prop Hunt server.
#PrettiestGirl2013 #SoTryhard

Offline MrEskimoMan

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
The one we have is fine. Outside of constantly going down because GM.
GM got some new stuff so downtime should decrease

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 07:58:06 pm »
Exactly, the one we have sucks. That's what this thread is trying to determine.

You grew up on SOP so naturally you're as biased as we are about GM's. A new ranking system at this point seems ridiculous: its either remove or keep.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2013, 08:24:05 am »
Surely if ranks are causing so much controversy, would it not be best to just leave them alone i.e. not have them at all? They really can't be worth this much fuss considering there are other servers with ranks as you've already pointed out. For instance S-OP, and GM have their own server, so surely if people like a specific type of rank system they can go to the respective server? Saxton Hell, despite being a great place, cannot please 100% of the players 100% of the time, similarly I'm not sure it can have more than one ranking system incorporated at the same time.

If we are divided over the issue in the forums, why not trial different rank system, maybe one week use GM, the next, S-OP etc. ( I know that would be a great ask on the admins) but from what I can see, a vote on the server seems to be the best way to decide whether to keep ranks, remove them, or change them. Personally I have no preference other than to resolve this issue in the fastest way possible so that everyone can get along and have fun playing PH again because at the end of the day ranks don't matter. (Unless you plan to put it on your CV ) :P

Offline milligraham

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »
Personally, I am okay with keeping ranks. I do like how it tracks how many kills you have with different weapons. It can give people something to strive for, but I do agree that it can turn from a goal to an obsession for some. I think the most important part of playing prop hunt is making sure that I am playing because I'm having fun and want to, not for the sole purpose of ranking up. As long as I am enjoying myself, whatever rank ups happen are just the cherry on top.
I do have a concern about what will happen to the prop hunt hell community. I love being able to hop into a game and play with a bunch of fellow regulars. I'm worried that if ranks were removed it would cause many regulars to go their separate ways. prop hunt hell has been my main prop hunt server is because I love the community. I would hate it if a bunch of regulars never got back on and I rarely got to see them anymore.
Would I still play if ranks were removed? Yes, but I'm concerned about what the consequences of rank removal might be.

Offline mongolian-bbq

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2013, 02:34:27 am »
I personally would advise removing the ranking system from the server. I enjoy the weapon kill tracking as much as anyone else, but stranges do that just as well, and that way it's less about stealing it from someone else and more about getting to the next level. The argument can be made that it would discourage players from spending as much time on the server, but if the only reason you play is to rank up then there are other servers that use the same system. Removing the ranks doesn't have to mean no more competitiveness either - you can still fight for the top of the scoreboard. And if at the end of the day, you just like seeing your name up on the rankings, just head over to GM's site - it's still there.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »
Surely if ranks are causing so much controversy, would it not be best to just leave them alone i.e. not have them at all? They really can't be worth this much fuss considering there are other servers with ranks as you've already pointed out. For instance S-OP, and GM have their own server, so surely if people like a specific type of rank system they can go to the respective server? Saxton Hell, despite being a great place, cannot please 100% of the players 100% of the time, similarly I'm not sure it can have more than one ranking system incorporated at the same time.

If we are divided over the issue in the forums, why not trial different rank system, maybe one week use GM, the next, S-OP etc. ( I know that would be a great ask on the admins) but from what I can see, a vote on the server seems to be the best way to decide whether to keep ranks, remove them, or change them. Personally I have no preference other than to resolve this issue in the fastest way possible so that everyone can get along and have fun playing PH again because at the end of the day ranks don't matter. (Unless you plan to put it on your CV ) :P

This. A vote sounds nice to me, although I'm not sure how many of the regulars who are gone now would come back even if the ranks were removed.

PS, is a CV similar to a resume?

Offline Marshii

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
Yeah, a CV is something we would write and give to potential employers, kinda like a profile to show that you're good for the role.

I.e. if you are applying for a job, "I got rank []" would hardly be noticed.

Offline Max

• Donator
  • #swag 2pro4u!1!1!one
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »
Looks like I'm a month late to the party here. Hah.

Well, what I think is that whatever you change with the server, there will always be people complaining no matter what. Nothing can be perfect to a whole community of people. You can't please them, no matter how hard you try. My view on the ranks? I like them, to be honest. It makes me strive for something, it forms a purpose to play the game. From what I've been seeing, people don't like how I play. Why not? You might not see it, but I'm just laid back while playing. I used to play over on the SourceOP prop hunt server, and I've played the same exact way I play here. I might be quiet, but I've never had any negative effect on anyone to my knowledge. Well, of course, seeming to be serious and not talkative. Well, it's my personality. I'm rather reticent. I've formed friendships so easily on the SourceOP server. It just seems like Saxton is so...uptight, you know? People make the problems in the community, even if you might not even be aware of what you've done. If I've caused any problems, it's not my fault, since I'm just being myself. But of course, in TF2, servers specifically, are where there are many communities that form. I'm proud of how well structured this community has become, but it's not always heaven on earth. There can be a stormy sea where problems arise.

Personally, I feel like I like the GM server rankings better than SourceOP's though. It'd really be amazing to have both ranking systems on one server. Propmenu? Sure, I use it sometimes. I mean, you donate, you get perks, it's as easy as that. As to abusing it? I don't know. You paid $5 a month, for god's sake! Calm down. And for people wanting more donator perks? People can't get enough! Like I said, there's always downers and haters or just people who are flat out greedy. Seriously, not many use shotgun here, since it's nerfed. Small props shouldn't be a problem to kill with flamethrower and flare.

Just an opinion. Leaving mine here. Thanks.

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 09:01:25 pm »
People can't abuse propmenu, however they can predictably rely on it. I can tell you what props individual players will choose, and what likely spots. The problem w/prop menu is that it gives every1 a false sense of security and instead they get gangfucked unless its against a server of noobs who dont know any better. I always like the idea that prop menu would lend you the crazy obviously-not-in-tha-map props.

Offline Shooter`

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
Propmenu? Sure, I use it sometimes. I mean, you donate, you get perks, it's as easy as that. As to abusing it? I don't know. You paid $5 a month, for god's sake! Calm down. And for people wanting more donator perks? People can't get enough! Like I said, there's always downers and haters or just people who are flat out greedy.

We're against selling significant gameplay advantages.

Pay to win is terrible.

This goes against our no significant donator gameplay advantages creed.
(Not taken from discussion of propmenu)

I don't think more gameplay ruining donor perks are are good idea. While it is a trade server, it gets pretty damn annoying when people keep claiming "admin abuse" all the time.
(Same here)

I think the idea of donors getting MORE props is good but I think the idea of donors getting the BEST prop every time is bad, even if you're going to be painfully obvious hiding it.