Author Topic: Map Rotation / Map Suggestions  (Read 30063 times)

Offline Dread Master

Re: Map Rotation / Map Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 05:03:34 pm »
I'm super excited to share my new map: fw_loca_a1. It is a CTF "football" map in which you take the intel (there is only one) to the other team's base, in this case on top of your team's color block on the enemy's tower.

P.S: in Spanish, loco or loca means "crazy."

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:53 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to post your map here!

However, there are a couple issues I see that need to be addressed before we can toss it into rotation:
  • The lighting is way too intense. That coupled with the HDR gives it considerable eyestrain, and makes it difficult to read the HUD elements for prop count and money.
  • You'll want to place some trigger_multiples named "fw_nobuild" at the chokepoints of the spawns to prevent players from placing props in that area and blocking players off. Otherwise, this will happen:
  • This one is more up to you, but introducing more passageways for players to exit spawn to prevent spawn camping would be useful. Especially since in this map, the distance between the spawn exits and the spawn points will make the spawn protection uber ineffective.

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »
I added a walkway above the exit for spawns to allow escape, changed func_nobuild to trigger_multiple fw_nobuild, tweaked the lighting, and fixed the 'R' at the end of my username display on the wall. I hope people like it!

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »
I added a walkway above the exit for spawns to allow escape, changed func_nobuild to trigger_multiple fw_nobuild, tweaked the lighting, and fixed the 'R' at the end of my username display on the wall. I hope people like it!
Looks good!

Added fw_loca_a2 to the rotation.

Offline The_Hairy_Baboon

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 10:56:41 am »
Only qualm i have is that not every class can take the intel onto the capture point unless assisted (such as medic with quick fix, or just generally getting rocket bounced)

Other than that, cool map. 

Offline The_Hairy_Baboon

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 10:53:39 pm »
On the map fw_mountain_final (believe it was that one), I discovered that Red Team could build onto the floating square platform but Blu could not build on theirs.  Both sides could build on the thin connecting wire.

Additionally, on Red it was possible to build right up next to the spawn rectangle, whereas on blu there was the prop intersects a no build zone error from a greater distance away.

It also appeared as though you could sit in the middle of the enemy's spawn zone and prevent them from getting the intel, although i'm not 100% abt that.

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 10:29:35 pm »
After two weeks of spare time after work and weekend nights of burning out my retinas in Hammer, I have completed another map: fw_horseshoe_a1! I hope it is even better than the last CTF map that I made.

Offline 111112oo

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 05:14:49 am »
After two weeks of spare time after work and weekend nights of burning out my retinas in Hammer, I have completed another map: fw_horseshoe_a1! I hope it is even better than the last CTF map that I made.
YOU HAVE A LEAK! Fix it, you also forgot to nodraw the outside of your brushes that face the void.

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 06:56:59 am »
Where exactly is the leak? Also, why is it important to go and do nodraw?

Offline 111112oo

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:52 am »
Where exactly is the leak? Also, why is it important to go and do nodraw?
Better optimization. The leak might be related to this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249143254 Also, use load pointfile to help find leaks. (the leak wasn't showing in the screenshot as my spectator camera was inside a brush)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:40:00 am by 111112oo »

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »
I think I fixed the problem. Try this map version.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:22 am »
The map seems kinda small. I'm not sure if it would work well with 14 players on each team placing props all over the place. The small size also makes it pretty easy for players to block the spawns with props.

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 02:04:03 pm »
Honestly, I think the map is a perfect size. The time limit is at 15 minutes IIRC, and there is such a short distance for the flag carrier to have to go that it is only fair that the prop density is really high and the setup time is 5 minutes. The point of the map is to have two bases a short distance from each other and a really dense area between them. This encourages teamwork to go through the dense fort hell (pun intended) to get the flag. Getting out of such a dense area is also a challenge. I put a fw_nobuild thing in the area between the columns and the base, so your griefing thing won't even happen. I think it at least is better than fw_3fort, which was my first map (I had a different SH account) and it sucks ass.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 03:10:07 pm »

:S

I don't mind the idea of having to fight through a wall of props in order to reach the intel, I just feel that it would easily enable griefing such that a team would need to work through their own props first.

Offline Dread Master

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 04:52:06 pm »
Ok, I see. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just prop out the entire cross section of the place like you did. How then should I fix this? Any ideas?