Poll

Should we add Bushwacka/Melee Jumping in Prophunt?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Bushwacka Jumping  (Read 11766 times)

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
Re: Bushwacka Jumping
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:05 pm »
I've still yet to see a valid point to stop sniper's (or maybe even medics) from climbing a wall with melee. It won't affect the way that you play your class, and will open up other "viable" classes so prophunt isn't just a clusterfuck of flames and instaflares. Engi and Heavy already get normal stock shotgun, heavy has a minigun and engi can block doors with a dispenser. They don't need this at all.

Offline Killingyouguy!!

• AKA: Master Shake
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
Yeah, letting snipers and medics climb walls really isn't that big of a deal. At least not as much as the fact that engies can block doors. I would only be against this if heavies could climb walls too, but that isn't the focus here so it would be fine. Maybe this would convince more people to not play tryhard pyro loadout, or maybe this will just let some folks have more fun with the mod.

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:16:32 pm »
Yeah, letting snipers and medics climb walls really isn't that big of a deal. At least not as much as the fact that engies can block doors. I would only be against this if heavies could climb walls too, but that isn't the focus here so it would be fine. Maybe this would convince more people to not play tryhard pyro loadout, or maybe this will just let some folks have more fun with the mod.

just let some folks have more fun with the mod.

This is all we need. Thank you.

Offline MrEskimoMan

• if you read this you're gay : -)
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 08:37:41 am »
just pointing out that only 12 people have voted out of a community of a few 1,000 players
#StopRuiningProphunt2K13 :)

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »
or nearly 400,000 that have walked into the mod at some point

Offline Powerlord

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 01:19:15 pm »
I'm of the opinion that you ruined the ranked nature of prophunt simply by giving the plugin attention.

My biggest concern with Prop Hunt is that, when I put it Prop Hunt 1.93 on one of my servers so my community could play it, it ended up having a bunch of bugs and balance issues in it.

I could have fixed it and just kept it on my own server (like certain other people), but that's not how I roll.

While we're on the subject, the Two Cities update seemed to change how either TF2 or SourceMod do Flamethrower crit detection... it's now based on the client's cl_cmdrate instead of the server's tickrate.  This meant that players with lower cl_cmdrates took less damage, but also couldn't use the flamethrower fly mechanic.  I've already worked around this in Prop Hunt Redux.  Which is one of the advantages of having a developer actively maintaining things.

Now there are other server operators running ranked prophunt servers that either still have the propmenu command exploit that allows them to select any model

OK, let me stop you right there.

1. I don't distribute the ranked version of PropHunt.  This is intentional: it leaves DarkImmortal and Geit as the gatekeepers for the ranked version and they presumably trust the people they've distributed the ranked version/stats includes to.

2. The "propmenu command exploit" you're referring to comes directly from Prop Hunt 1.93 and is code I haven't changed.

I've left that part of the propmenu code alone because it was (presumably) intentionally written that way (or else it wouldn't take an optional argument).  Honestly, if we really wanted to crack down, we could make it outright that propmenu doesn't work on the stats tracked version.  Then again, that'd piss off some server owners just like other changes have.

I may address this from a different direction, though, and just validate that the prop is on the propmenu if a cvar is set or if it's the ranked version.  Not that this will stop any community with stats.inc and stats2.inc from being able to recompile their own custom version of the ranked version of Prop Hunt.

or they have the bug where wearables aren't being removed properly and it allows them to have demo shields as props.

Now, as for wearables, I use TF2Items to block props from getting any items.  The exception is when the Last Prop mode starts, in which case I check for that and only block wearables, canteens, and spellbooks when regenerating the last prop.

Honestly, I'm not sure how a prop would get a demoshield anyway, since props are respawned when teams are changed.

Hardly a consistent environment to have ranks when people can join a different broken server and cheat.

There's no real way of preventing ranked servers from cheating.  Not as long as DarkImmortal and Geit give servers the stats include files and not just a plugin binary and not as long as Prop Hunt has prophunt_config.cfg, because servers can customize weapons.

In fact, up until I started publishing Prop Hunt Redux, the weapon configs likely varied wildly from server to server because the last version with 1.93 was something like 3 years old and had a large number of issues.

I now publish a nice, up-to-date version as part of Prop Hunt Redux.  I released a new version with PH Redux 3.0.2 that mapped all the new Festive weapons with the attributes their standard versions use.  It also removed the Short Circuit due to how overpowered it is and some other miscellaneous fixes that should have been caught years ago.

or nearly 400,000 that have walked into the mod at some point

The primary place for the discussion of the PropHunt mod itself is the GamingMasters Prop Hunt board.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:50 pm »
While we're on the subject, the Two Cities update seemed to change how either TF2 or SourceMod do Flamethrower crit detection... it's now based on the client's cl_cmdrate instead of the server's tickrate.  This meant that players with lower cl_cmdrates took less damage, but also couldn't use the flamethrower fly mechanic.  I've already worked around this in Prop Hunt Redux.  Which is one of the advantages of having a developer actively maintaining things.
I'm curious how many people it will take to tell you that the behavior has never changed and it has always been exactly like that.

It's fine to not have a firm understanding of how the Source engine functions, but you really shouldn't start claiming that your ignorance is the fault of SM. Weapon firing (and, in turn, crit calculation) has always been driven by client usercmds.

1. I don't distribute the ranked version of PropHunt.  This is intentional: it leaves DarkImmortal and Geit as the gatekeepers for the ranked version and they presumably trust the people they've distributed the ranked version/stats includes to.

2. The "propmenu command exploit" you're referring to comes directly from Prop Hunt 1.93 and is code I haven't changed.
Thank you—captain obvious—for restating many things I already know. You've missed my point entirely and that's perfectly fine, because you have an established habit of doing so.

Simply because you don't distribute the ranked version doesn't absolve you from the fact that you drove an increased interest in the prophunt plugin, which in turn drove an increased interest in bad server operators asking for access to stats.

You're not the only one at fault here, but you are at least one of the individuals responsible, which gives me enough right to blame you.

I've left that part of the propmenu code alone because it was (presumably) intentionally written that way (or else it wouldn't take an optional argument).  Honestly, if we really wanted to crack down, we could make it outright that propmenu doesn't work on the stats tracked version.  Then again, that'd piss off some server owners just like other changes have.
That's a joke, right? You really felt that it was acceptable to leave the code such that players could select props that can end up being completely invisible?

Offline HipsterGlaceon

• Full Admin
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 01:38:16 am »
My biggest concern with Prop Hunt is that, when I put it Prop Hunt 1.93 on one of my servers so my community could play it, it ended up having a bunch of bugs and balance issues in it.

I could have fixed it and just kept it on my own server (like certain other people), but that's not how I roll.

I may address this from a different direction, though, and just validate that the prop is on the propmenu if a cvar is set or if it's the ranked version.  Not that this will stop any community with stats.inc and stats2.inc from being able to recompile their own custom version of the ranked version of Prop Hunt.
Now, as for wearables, I use TF2Items to block props from getting any items.  The exception is when the Last Prop mode starts, in which case I check for that and only block wearables, canteens, and spellbooks when regenerating the last prop.

Honestly, I'm not sure how a prop would get a demoshield anyway, since props are respawned when teams are changed.

There's no real way of preventing ranked servers from cheating.  Not as long as DarkImmortal and Geit give servers the stats include files and not just a plugin binary and not as long as Prop Hunt has prophunt_config.cfg, because servers can customize weapons.

In fact, up until I started publishing Prop Hunt Redux, the weapon configs likely varied wildly from server to server because the last version with 1.93 was something like 3 years old and had a large number of issues.

I now publish a nice, up-to-date version as part of Prop Hunt Redux.  I released a new version with PH Redux 3.0.2 that mapped all the new Festive weapons with the attributes their standard versions use.  It also removed the Short Circuit due to how overpowered it is and some other miscellaneous fixes that should have been caught years ago.

The primary place for the discussion of the PropHunt mod itself is the GamingMasters Prop Hunt board.

Hi.

Please refer to the title of this thread and its purpose. If you would like to make a thread about how you have no idea about the communities or how prophunt works, you are free to make your own topic.

Offline Marshii

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 04:00:34 am »
All the ad hominems in this thread are making my head hurt :/

Offline box

• Str8 Up Pimp, Classyle
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 12:28:45 pm »
Juss sayin, this is what happens when you start futzing around with a mod that was fine to begin with. Lets see how people react to the rules of baseball or basketball being changed every season.

Offline mongolian-bbq

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:01:54 pm »
*late* I always figured the whole point of hard-to-get spots was that they are hard to get to. If you're really bothered by it, use pyro; I can't think of too many spots that would really require wall-jumping as a Sniper/Heavy/etc. other than the buildings on Cyberpunk, but that map is shit anyways. If you feel the need to get props at hard spots as Sniper get the bow and go crazy, or better yet tell your teammates "there's a prop up there" or "make sure to check up in that room." Sharing is caring!

Offline Marshii

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 05:49:06 pm »
*late* I always figured the whole point of hard-to-get spots was that they are hard to get to. If you're really bothered by it, use pyro; I can't think of too many spots that would really require wall-jumping as a Sniper/Heavy/etc. other than the buildings on Cyberpunk, but that map is shit anyways. If you feel the need to get props at hard spots as Sniper get the bow and go crazy, or better yet tell your teammates "there's a prop up there" or "make sure to check up in that room." Sharing is caring!

Not enough +1's can be given here

Offline jay50jay

• FaZe Clan Representative
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
I think it would be fun
B^)
"If you see a moose, just whip your dang out and start whackin' it. That kind of sexual confidence will get inside the moose's head." - Northernlion, June, 2012.