Author Topic: I'm Creating A New Map  (Read 5259 times)

Offline The Sphincter Of Giza

I'm Creating A New Map
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:14 am »
I have always wanted to make a TF2 map, and now I think I will. I've never made a TF2 map before, but I'm not a complete newb. I have an underlying knowledge of how certain things work in the Source engine, due to the fact that I am an amateur graphics programmer and have also read into Source architecture before, so the only problem is just working out the kinks in the creation pipeline. I also have a pretty good map idea, and what better game mode to make a first map for than for FW (since maps must be very low-poly).

I have a few questions. First, how long should it take me to make a small-ish map with very low detail, only default textures, two control points, and a spawn? Is 100 hours a reasonable estimate? 200 hours? Also, who do I show the map to if I want to have someone consider it for server rotation (assuming the map  isn't a pile of horse shit)?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Knucklejoe

• Full Admin
  • Friendly Neighborhood Judo Master
Re: I'm Creating A New Map
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »
Since I am not a map maker myself, I'm not sure how long it'll take to make a decent map. I do know, however, that when you finish you should post it in the FortWar Hell Map Suggestions.

Best of luck to ya.

Offline VoiDeD

• Full Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:54:41 pm »
Also, who do I show the map to if I want to have someone consider it for server rotation (assuming the map  isn't a pile of horse shit)?

We always welcome anyone making new maps. The only thing required to get your map considered for rotation is a download link when it's finished so we can test it out on the server and see how well it plays.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »
It did not take NEARLY as long as expected, by the way. In one Saturday (today) I finished all of the brushes/models for the map. I just now have to assign the inputs and outputs and game logic entities necessary to make it a full fledged FW map.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:41:51 pm »
here is a progress screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Zn3KHVO.png

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:34:40 pm »
It is turning out very nice.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 09:59:44 am by The Sphincter Of Giza »